Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Part P assessment question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. markadams

markadams Regular EF Member

One of the questions on a recent Part P assessment was how would I wire an external outbuilding if the earthing arrangement to the property was PME.

I said I would run a three core SWA from the property to the outbuilding and use the cable armour and the third core as the exported CPC.

I was highly criticised and was told that I should install a rod at the property and at the outbuilding.

I can find no mention of this in 17th ed AMD3 book, can anyone tell me where i would find this if it is the case.

I have had a couple of other Assessments previously where they have checked out building installs and never mentioned this so I am not happy.

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Should have asked where this is stated in black and white.

• Like Like x 1
  3. markadams

I did and he wont tell me.

4. kenny7askew

kenny7askew Regular EF Member

assessed by who ?

5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Make a formal complaint.

6. markadams

Stroma, I am at the moment but I just wanted to check my facts as the assessor was insisting that I was wrong and listed it as a non-conformity.

7. westward10

If he is going to list it as a non conformity he should show you evidence.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. markadams

It says that I need to prove that I now know the correct procedure. How exactly can I do that?

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. kenny7askew

kenny7askew Regular EF Member

seems a bit odd/harsh to give a non compliance for the answer you gave to a verbal question
    without the opportunity to look it up

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    the assessor is wrong. you would normally only need to make the outbuilding TT if it was a metal structure or if the 3rd core of your SWA was inadequate for bonding purposes (min. 10mm for PME ).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. westward10

I assume this outbuilding was nothing out of the ordinary.

13. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

I've been hearing through the grapevine that Stroma are starting to become extremely harsh with their assessments. On the face of it this should worry us less than the other extreme, but some of the reasons for non conformances do make you wonder whether they do it to make you pay for a re-visit.

I've heard this through my Elecsa assessor recently (so he ma ybe biased), but also through a friend who is registered through Stroma. He received a non conformance due to fixing sockets inside kitchen cabinets. The assessor claimed accessories had to be fixed to the fabric of the building and not kitchen furniture. Complete garbage as we all know. I forget whether he had to have a re-visit or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Wes1000

Wes1000 Regular EF Member

In the IET guide to the building regs 5.7.3 states making the outbuilding a TT as an alternative method to how you suggest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

It’s a hypothetical question, so the non-conformity should be hypothetical as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1