Discuss Part P changes "mandatory" Insurance!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

I was reading Sparks last night and is it just me but is this ill thought through idea of the "mandatory" insurance just a bad idea?

I can just imagine the conversation with Mrs Jones:

Sparky - "of course this Part P includes your insurance"
Mrs Jones "what insurance?"
Sparky "in case of problems I cause you"
Mrs Jones "I don't want that, how much cheaper will it be"
Sparky "its mandatory"
Mrs Jones "I don't care if its fxcking mandatory, I'm not paying for it"

Discuss!

Part P changes "mandatory" Insurance!!

Definitely, one of my 'tactics' when quoting for larger jobs is to print a copy of my PL insurance, employers liability & professional indemnity all on one a4 page to prove im insured , the feedback I get is very positive and it's tipped the balance in my favour many times, costs what. 20p to do?

Re: Part P changes "mandatory" Insurance!!

Definitely, one of my 'tactics' when quoting for larger jobs is to print a copy of my PL insurance, employers liability & professional indemnity all on one a4 page to prove im insured , the feedback I get is very positive and it's tipped the balance in my favour many times, costs what. 20p to do?

That's your insurance not something "mandatory" the customer is funding!

I have only ever been asked for the warranty insurance from a customer. Although Elecsa say I need to offer it to all my customers, I dont think most of them would be willing to pay the extra for it, plus, they dont want to hear that you MIGHT do something wrong!!!
Not gonna instill confidence in them is it!!lol

Jay

The way I'm reading this is that we don't actually have to sell anything and the warranty is provided by ELECSA and appears to be covered via the notification costs (which in effect is paying but a small amount in my opinion)
The customer only has to fork out, should they ever have need to pursue you for bad workmanship etc., in this case ÂŁ50 for an expert to test/inspect your work which would certainly be a lot less than if they were to do it through the legal procedures !
Of course, we would all correct our work if any fault was found before all this come into use (I would hope so anyhow)and ELESCA do state that the contractor would be given the option to put things right before going down this route should they receive a complain about one of their member's work and the warranty is more to provide the customer with some reassurance if the so called contractor has done a runner, retired, serious illness etc.. that the remedial work needed would be carried out without any further costs to them.

From a personal prospective, overall I don't see it as a bad thing, it is giving the customer some back up (ok at a small cost should the contractor fail to put things right).
Perhaps I am mis-reading the article completely and got it all wrong, but thats how it comes across to me !!

Schemes, hmm changes to Part P are coming which will mean that all the large companies will sign up for additional third party sign off. Oh good more money for us.
Oh but then lots of other companies will use these third party sign off companies and not sign up with us for Part P registration. Oh less money for us.
Right how can we get more money? I know charge more for notification, we will call it a warranty.

Optional warranty: Customer says I do not want to pay more (so take up rate is about 5%)
Mandatory warranty: Charge electrician more so schemes get more money, take up 100%, cushty!

So what is this ''mandatory'' insurance giving the customer or anyone else, that your PL insurance, employers liability & professional indemnity isn't already providing??

Unless i can't see the wood for the tree's, this sounds very much like yet another scam being thrust on the registered electricians!!

Apparently, by law, a warranty must be in place should the electrician who did the work go out of business and be unable to rectify a fault with work that is completed under Part P of the building regulations.

Apparently, by law, a warranty must be in place should the electrician who did the work go out of business and be unable to rectify a fault with work that is completed under Part P of the building regulations.

Would that not be covered by one of the insurances that was in force at the time?? Policies are normally annual, and even if an electrician went out of business, the insurance would still be current until the renewal date is due. Also pretty sure that any work carried out during insurance cover, will still be claimable against. I could well be wrong, not too up to date on current insurance terms in the UK... lol!!

Would that not be covered by one of the insurances that was in force at the time?? Policies are normally annual, and even if an electrician went out of business, the insurance would still be current until the renewal date is due.

If the Contractor or Company went bust or just stopped trading, there would be no-one to claim against, whether his insurance is still running or not.

Part P changes "mandatory" Insurance!!

What a load of rubbish. I won't be doing anything of the kind. Having to offer insurance policies for the solar panel side is bad enough. What next insurance policies for having your carpet laid?

Would that not be covered by one of the insurances that was in force at the time?? Policies are normally annual, and even if an electrician went out of business, the insurance would still be current until the renewal date is due. Also pretty sure that any work carried out during insurance cover, will still be claimable against. I could well be wrong, not too up to date on current insurance terms in the UK... lol!!

Well that is my thinking, too. I'm off to check with my normal PL/PI insurers!

If the Contractor or Company went bust or just stopped trading, there would be no-one to claim against, whether his insurance is still running or not.

Do you think that just because you went bust or stopped trading for one reason or another (including death) you wouldn't still be liable for any wrong doing whilst you were trading?? Think again!! lol!!

The way I read the information on the ELECSA web site was that the insurance would be provided as part of the standard registration fee (ÂŁ1.50). But the existing insurance scheme only provides insurance against not meeting Part P requirements and I expect the new scheme will provide the same.

Do you think that just because you went bust or stopped trading for one reason or another (including death) you wouldn't still be liable for any wrong doing whilst you were trading?? Think again!! lol!!

Limited company you've got no chance of claiming against.
Sole Trader, you'd have to find them first.

Just another way to squeeze a few more shekels out of us sparks.Ten years ago these scumbags didnt exist but now there is an entire industry that has sprung up,a non productive workforce of thousands who are making a living off of the back of sparks graft.

You think of all the office staff in these payment companies,training companies,Part P schemes,electrical trainee companies,all the office overheads,telephone/lighting/printing etc all this stuff that we did fine without before,when sparking was a prestigious,well paid,stable career,that has to be paid for now and it only comes from one place OUR POCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isnt it funny that the emergence of these parasites has coincided with the deskilling of our trade and drop in wages?

I was reading Sparks last night and is it just me but is this ill thought through idea of the "mandatory" insurance just a bad idea?

I can just imagine the conversation with Mrs Jones:

Sparky - "of course this Part P includes your insurance"
Mrs Jones "what insurance?"
Sparky "in case of problems I cause you"
Mrs Jones "I don't want that, how much cheaper will it be"
Sparky "its mandatory"
Mrs Jones "I don't care if its fxcking mandatory, I'm not paying for it"

Discuss!
yes....they keep peddling this one dont they murdoch....
a load of old crap if you ask me...pointless rubbish
you know yourself if the jobs done right ..or not...

Reply to Part P changes "mandatory" Insurance!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net