Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Part P :: Cooker switch, Distance from Cooker Hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DaveyD

DaveyD Electrician's Arms

Hi

Looking at IEE's guide to building regs in 5.2 Kitchens: I understand that sockets should be > 300mm from a sink (5.2.2 iv) and cooker switches should not be over the hob (5.2.2 ii) but only the illustration shows 300mm for the cooker switch nothing in the text. Would you think a Napit instector would pick up on a cooker switch 200mm from the hob?

Thanks in advance.
    Kind Regards
    David

2. Dazza1976

Dazza1976 Regular EF Member

As far as Im aware, there isnt a minimum distance away from the cooker, as long as it isnt directly above it, then it should be fine.

The 300mm you are talking about refers to distance away from the sink, so as long as the cooker switch isnt close to the sink aswell then I cant forsee any problems.

3. DaveyD

Thanks you Dazza, it was the fact it mentioned 300mm in the illustration - a mistake?

4. james29022004

james29022004 Guest

300mm is good practice-i believe the diagram is only classed as guidance

5. poheZ

poheZ Guest

look at it another way;
    an outside switch is protected against the ingress of water because it is outside, if a switch is near a source of heat...

6. i=p/u

i=p/u Electrician's Arms

not no further than 2m and not directly over hob from what i take from all the blaaaaaaaaaaa

7. domestic spark

domestic spark Guest

It's recomendation, >300 rule. as long as you as the designer of the installation are happy that the posisition I'n which you have located it, is practicable and there are no other factors affecting it's safe operation 200mm should suffice.

Let me know how you get on. good luck. This will clear things up

8. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

The main problem with cooker switches too close to the appliance comes when it has a socket outlet. What you need to avoid is the possibility of someone plugging something in, and then putting the plugged in appliance down onto a hot hob, or the hob getting turned on with an appliance sat on it (like i did whilst drunk on holiday one year and destroyed a toaster). So if the cooker switch is a bit too close and it has a socket then replace it for one without a socket. Obviously common sense should prevail if the thing is just too close altogether.

Cheers........Howard

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaveyD

Yes it has a socket. I think its fine at 200mm and dont want to move it right again right in a corner BUT wonder why no mention in text just in illustration. Anyone know of where the text is for >300mm from a cooker hob? I want to get this right.
    Kind Regards
    David

10. Dan

Dan I'm not a sparky but I know a couple ;-) Staff Member Admin

Just bumping some threads in the Electrical Wiring Theories and Regulations forum category here on our Electricians Forums. If this specific topic isn't current, just ignore it, it'll drop off the list in no time. However, if it's something you'd like to contribute to, feel free to reply and bring it back into current discussion.

• Creative Creative x 1