Discuss Part-P non-notifiable work testing and certification in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
There are lots of discussions on forums about what is and isn’t Part P notifiable work. Everything I have done on the past or would want to do in future is non-notifiable, especially now that outdoor wiring is now non-notifiable if it doesn’t involve creating a new circuit. However, the inference is that if it’s non-notfiable you can do it yourself.

However, on reading the Part P document it says :

Non-notifiable electrical installation work, like notifiable work, should be designed and installed, and inspected, tested and certificated in accordance with BS 7671.

Interestingly in coming here to ask this question I read the introductory thread to the DIY forum which mentions that testing and certification is a legal requirement.

It seems that generally the discussions elsewhere all focus on whether it’s notifiable or not - but no mention of what to do in practice in terms of testing and certification of non-notifiable work.

Am I correct in understanding that after completing the work a qualified electrician should come and test it and issue a Minor Work Certificate? If so, is this something that all electricians should be willing to do? Is this supposed to be done before restoring power to the circuit?

Also, are there grey areas with this? If you added a spur to the garden with new sockets etc it would clearly be beneficial for testing. Whereas replacing a switch less so - yet the part P wording doesn’t appear to differentiate. Or does the fact it says “installation work” differentiate additions from repairs and maintenance?

There are lots of discussions on forums about what is and isn’t Part P notifiable work. Everything I have done on the past or would want to do in future is non-notifiable, especially now that outdoor wiring is now non-notifiable if it doesn’t involve creating a new circuit. However, the inference is that if it’s non-notfiable you can do it yourself.

Non-notifiable electrical installation work, like notifiable work, should be designed and installed, and inspected, tested and certificated in accordance with BS 7671.

Interestingly in coming here to ask this question I read the introductory thread to the DIY forum which mentions that testing and certification is a legal requirement.

It seems that generally the discussions elsewhere all focus on whether it’s notifiable or not - but no mention of what to do in practice in terms of testing and certification of non-notifiable work.

Am I correct in understanding that after completing the work a qualified electrician should come and test it and issue a Minor Work Certificate? If so, is this something that all electricians should be willing to do? Is this supposed to be done before restoring power to the circuit?

Also, are there grey areas with this? If you added a spur to the garden with new sockets etc it would clearly be beneficial for testing. Whereas replacing a switch less so - yet the part P wording doesn’t appear to differentiate. Or does the fact it says “installation work” differentiate additions from repairs and maintenance?
Your ref to MNWC it would depend on the nature of the work that needs certifying.

Ok, so one example is replacing an old 12V transformer that supplied halogen down lights - replaced with 1.5 mm twin and earth cable, connected with Wagobox light and wago 224 connectors and GU10 fittings to allow use of LEDs.

However, the inference is that if it’s non-notfiable you can do it yourself.

That is your incorrect inference, it is not implied.

Correct, all alterations to electrical installations should be tested and a certificate produced. This is a requirement of BS7671 the wiring regulations and is there to prove that the alteration is safe to use and that all requirements of the regulations have been followed during the alteration.

It is up to an electrician whether they would come and sign off a DIY job that they have no involvement in. I wouldn't, the majority wouldn't, the signing electrician should be involved from the start in the design of the job and should have inspected at all stages.

In short, any alteration should be tested, and it is good prudence to test after maintenance tasks too. You can even produce a minor works certificate if you like for maintenance jobs.

Testing and certification is separate and additional to notification to building control. All alterations should be tested, some are also notifiable.

That is your incorrect inference, it is not implied.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was that many forum discussions (not necessarily here) seem to focus on whether it notifiable or not as the differentiator as to whether you can do it your self (ie the forum discussions were implying this), yet when I read Part P it states that testing and certification are required whether it’s notifiable or not.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was that many forum discussions (not necessarily here) seem to focus on whether it notifiable or not as the differentiator as to whether you can do it your self (ie the forum discussions were implying this), yet when I read Part P it states that testing and certification are required whether it’s notifiable or not.
You have the right end of the stick, notification has no bearing on whether it should be tested and certificated and on who should do the work. A competent person should always carry out the work and test it.

Not all of the comments regarding conducting non-notifiable work are aimed at unqualified persons.
Many qualified Electricians are not registered to notify under Part P.
Some are registered through the company that they work for which would not cover them for private work.
Others do so little domestic work, that there is no point in them registering.

Reply to Part-P non-notifiable work testing and certification in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock