Discuss Part P & Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

CLB

Hi,
I've been asked to go and test an installation that hasn't been signed off by the sparky who did the work. He's disappeared apparently.
My question is this:
I am not 2391 but I am Full Scope Part P 17th Edition, so I can test work I've installed myself and issue certification for it, but my understanding of Part P is that I can also make changes to a CU after which I am required to do a full test and issue certs.
Would I be correct in assuming I can test the installation if I make changes to the CU (ie, disconnect the meter tails as I'll have to do a Zs/Ze test anyway) and then proceed to test the entire installation?

i assume you will be carrying out a EICR. as long as you are competent to do this, then go ahead.

Just make sure you do a thorough test,it,s one thing signing off a job you have done but another to sign off someone else's, as you go through your checks you may find there is a good reason the original spark "disappeared"

Just make sure you do a thorough test,it,s one thing signing off a job you have done but another to sign off someone else's, as you go through your checks you may find there is a good reason the original spark "disappeared"

I shall treat it like I would if I had done the install myself. I'm a thorough, methodical type of person anyway so it will get the full inspection. My concern was more to do with the legalities of not holding a 2391 certificate. There does seem to be some grey areas between 2391 and Part P.

Hi,
I've been asked to go and test an installation that hasn't been signed off by the sparky who did the work. He's disappeared apparently.
My question is this:
I am not 2391 but I am Full Scope Part P 17th Edition, so I can test work I've installed myself and issue certification for it, but my understanding of Part P is that I can also make changes to a CU after which I am required to do a full test and issue certs.
Would I be correct in assuming I can test the installation if I make changes to the CU (ie, disconnect the meter tails as I'll have to do a Zs/Ze test anyway) and then proceed to test the entire installation?

Why disconnect the tails ?

It seems you are looking at a means to do some sort of work that would then enable you to issue an EIC maybe to satisfy an awkward situation for the customer

I would recommended to carry out an EICR,do not not become responsible for another persons installation standards

Just saw your reply after i posted
I'm a thorough, methodical type of person anyway so it will get the full inspection
That I am sorry to say,will be nigh on impossible unless the first fix was inspected previously

having 2391 has nothing to do with being able to carry out an EICR

I'm trying to understand if I am legally certified to inspect and test this installation under Part P.

as above. you won't be able to ascertain all the cable routes, if they are in safe zones, etc. so a EICR is the way to go. and you don't need 2391. that would help if the brown stuff hit the fan for any reason, as it shows that you have passed the qual.

Inspecting the installation is not an obligation to produce a satisfactory report . Report on it as you find it , do not consider any pressure to "pass it" , if this is the ulterior motive walk away.

Inspecting the installation is not an obligation to produce a satisfactory report . Report on it as you find it , do not consider any pressure to "pass it" , if this is the ulterior motive walk away.

The householder is trying to sell the property and without an Installation Certificate he's having trouble getting it on the market. I'm not going to issue anything if it doesn't comply with the regs. Basically, he's been shafted by the original sparly who's buggered off. I know I can't channel the walls out and see if the cables are mechanically protected if they're not buried 50mm deep in the walls and I won't be able to lift the floorboards and inspect the cables under it. I will point out that although he's paid his money it's unfortunate that he hasn't been given the certs he's entitled to but if I find something that needs rectifying I won't be doing it for free. It's then up to him how he wants to proceed.
I don't know the circumstances of why the original sparky has disappeared but I suspect he hasn't done the tests he should have so he doesn't have the readings to issue the certs. I feel sorry for both the builder and the homeowner and they've both been shafted by this rogue sparky. Thanks for you input guys, I now know what I can and cannot do, I just wanted to check to be sure.

You cannot certify someone elses work, you can only inspect it and advise the customer of your findings by way of an EICR

you can do an EIC, but then you are putting your name as responsible for the quality of the install.

If you were NICEIC certified and did an EIC for someone elses work they would kick you out, well for a week until they realised you are money to them haha, seriously though I don't think you can certify someone elses work.

The householder is trying to sell the property and without an Installation Certificate he's having trouble getting it on the market.

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...tions/70397-part-p-testing.html#ixzz2HxxYOGmd

You don't need any electrical certification to get a house on the market or to sell it. It may be the case that some buyers won't go through with a sale on a property with uncertified work, but they are probably more likely to haggle on price given that the vast majority of houses have no, or only limited certification of the electrical installation.

To many cowboys they just take the money and run, he could still be asking question on this site for his next job lol QUOTE=CLB;687886]The householder is trying to sell the property and without an Installation Certificate he's having trouble getting it on the market. I'm not going to issue anything if it doesn't comply with the regs. Basically, he's been shafted by the original sparly who's buggered off. I know I can't channel the walls out and see if the cables are mechanically protected if they're not buried 50mm deep in the walls and I won't be able to lift the floorboards and inspect the cables under it. I will point out that although he's paid his money it's unfortunate that he hasn't been given the certs he's entitled to but if I find something that needs rectifying I won't be doing it for free. It's then up to him how he wants to proceed.
I don't know the circumstances of why the original sparky has disappeared but I suspect he hasn't done the tests he should have so he doesn't have the readings to issue the certs. I feel sorry for both the builder and the homeowner and they've both been shafted by this rogue sparky. Thanks for you input guys, I now know what I can and cannot do, I just wanted to check to be sure.[/QUOTE]

The householder is trying to sell the property and without an Installation Certificate he's having trouble getting it on the market. I'm not going to issue anything if it doesn't comply with the regs. Basically, he's been shafted by the original sparly who's buggered off. I know I can't channel the walls out and see if the cables are mechanically protected if they're not buried 50mm deep in the walls and I won't be able to lift the floorboards and inspect the cables under it. I will point out that although he's paid his money it's unfortunate that he hasn't been given the certs he's entitled to but if I find something that needs rectifying I won't be doing it for free. It's then up to him how he wants to proceed.
I don't know the circumstances of why the original sparky has disappeared but I suspect he hasn't done the tests he should have so he doesn't have the readings to issue the certs. I feel sorry for both the builder and the homeowner and they've both been shafted by this rogue sparky. Thanks for you input guys, I now know what I can and cannot do, I just wanted to check to be sure.

If you test it and it is satisfactory, then a surveyor or parties concerned may accept this as evidence of compliance with BS7671. If they are trying to satisfy Building control , this could be a different matter.

If you know you are competent then, as has been said you do not need 2391 to do an eicr, just go ahead and test it and report on what you find .The outcome of your results is up to the person ordering the work to sort out.

A lot of people are getting refused a mortgage on properties without the correct certs
You don't need any electrical certification to get a house on the market or to sell it. It may be the case that some buyers won't go through with a sale on a property with uncertified work, but they are probably more likely to haggle on price given that the vast majority of houses have no, or only limited certification of the electrical installation.

A lot of people are getting refused a mortgage on properties without the correct certs

Originally Posted by whitestu

Both statements here are accurate , a lot of estate agent and buyers are asking for all the relevant certificates now though.

Reply to Part P & Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock