Discuss Part P, we want your feedback! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparks72

So who got the NICEIC Part P survey via email?

I read last year that the government were looking at Part P amongst other building regulations mainly because of the rants on the website that was set up to have your say on what laws should go or be amended.

What's everyones thoughts on Part P, Personally I think the NICEIC & other scheme providers are bricking it as judgment day approaches, Part P, it's a waste of time & only lines the pockets of the scheme providers / council etc, it's never been policed since it was introduced & the horror story's are very much in circulation today as they were before Part P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree in a way there's still all RAF sparks doing work and getting away with it so as you say they only really want your brass and not to police it proper

Yes just had a look at the survey it seems a complete waste of time to me, so I sent this reply to the NICEIC:

"I started filling in your survey but unfortunately found it to be largely irrelevant, as the most important factor - non qualified people carrying out electrical work, was not properly addressed.

Until a scheme equivalent to Gas Safe is introduced for electrical work and the sale of electrical equipment (including major items such as Consumer units) are removed from sale at B&Q and similar stores, DIYers will continue to carry out unsafe work and flout Part P regulations.

A single national scheme for installers such as Gas Safe is the only way forward. Unfortunately as this would mean organizations such as the NICEIC,Napit,Elesca etc would become redundant will mean that you will continue to lobby for tinkering with a scheme that is an abject failure rather than replacing it (and therefore yourselves) with something more worthwhile."

Regards

it's not working. too many peaople have the qualification and don't know enough about the trade. how can a 2 week course make you competent to sign off work? the other week a "kitchen fitter" tried to tell me how to wire up a cooker properly (he was wrong) and when i told him why he was wrong he said "nah mate i'm qualified i got part p i know what the score is"....

Yep, seen it many times on new & old installations, Part P has changed nothing but made a lot of company directors & middlemen extremely wealthy.
Regarding the survey I got the feeling the NICEIC want you on-side,
the survey has been carefully thought out so you can't say Part P is the biggest load of tosh to ever hit the building regulations.

Yes just had a look at the survey it seems a complete waste of time to me, so I sent this reply to the NICEIC:
A single national scheme for installers such as Gas Safe is the only way forward. Unfortunately as this would mean organizations such as the NICEIC,Napit,Elesca etc would become redundant will mean that you will continue to lobby for tinkering with a scheme that is an abject failure rather than replacing it (and therefore yourselves) with something more worthwhile."

Regards

The NICEIC,Napit,Elesca etc should be almalgamated & renamed the self preservation society.

So who got the NICEIC Part P survey via email?
I have just had an E-mail

This is an all scheme and other money making agencies attempt to question members of part p in such a way that they can manipulate the opnions which are to be presented to government, before a revue is concluded rather than after the event

Self preservation by these big boys will distort the opinions of electricians and give that distorted veiw as an indication that most if not all of part p should be continued

Its on a slippery slope and they want helping hand

i'll give them a hand- i'll grease the slippery slope and give them a push.

I saw the email as a friend forwarded it, things like this always remind of of the old sit com Yes minister. An episode was dealing with conscription and national service , the minister was for it and Sir Humphrey against. What sir Hump proposed was a survey of the public, which Bernard was worried that it might go in favour for, and the reply was, not if you ask the right questions.

Do you believe young people should have a goal in life .......................yes
Do you think young people respond to an ordered disciplined life ..........yes
Do you think young people should be trianed in a multitude of jobs ........yes

Do you agree with national service .........................yes

Do you think young people should be trained to kill .............................no
Do you think that young people should be forced against their wishes .....no
Do you think that young people should be trained and then discarded after 2 yrs as jobless............no

Do you agree with national service ...........................no

NLP these organisations pay millions to get the results they want.

Ref malcolms post

He is absolutely spot on with the examples

The survey questions bore no relationship to opinions I had
My opinions could not be expresed

Only one question on the bottom was clear and answereable
Would you like to see part p disappear down the plug hole,it was ticked by me :cool:

Last edited:
I suspect that if you did a survey of people who make decisions about electrical work in their home: the majority would not know what Part P is about; of those who have an idea what it is about the majority will ignore it if they can do the job themselves or get a "knowledgeable" friend to do it cheap as no one polices Part P. Just try to look at the number of people prosecuted each year for doing unsafe electrical work or not notifying Building Control of notifiable work.

Until there is a legal definition of a qualified electrician there is little point in having schemes to approve Part P "electricians" when it is in the interest of the schemes to enrol more people and promote the benefits of Part P which ensures they stay in business.

Thus in my view firstly we need a definition of the qualifications (academic and practical) needed to call oneself an electrician and then we need a scheme similar to the gas safe one to ensure that any work performed on electrical installations, domestic or industrial, is by people qualified to do so.

Do I expect anything to happen? No. There are too many vested interests in keeping the status quo and to put it bluntly there are not enough people dying from dodgy electrics to focus sufficient public attention on the issue to increase its priority.

We will just have to grin and bear it.

On another very large forum (not electrical) i go on some one was asking for electrical advice, to which there were various poor answers - i pointed out that the work was notifiable and should really be done by a competent spark who was registered with a part p scheme - was met with "b*ll**ks to that mate" and general derision from others. Me thinks part p is not working too well :rolleyes:

Had a "survey" email from Elecsa today. Shame it didn't have a comments field at the end.

Don't expect much to change, my pub sparky, mr diy sparky and mr plumber sparky will continue doing notifiable work, without notifying and nothing will happen to them.

Madness

Rant over

the survey is what it is but we have to vote within the constraints otherwise we end up doing nothing but complaining about our lot. I agree with many statements on this thread but like others I have seen these surveys before and they appear on many internal customer satisfaction surveys within big multi billion £ corporations. It's not perfect but in time with continued development I believe the industry will get there, don't ask me how long. Standards and policing is not an easy matter and what about your car garage down the road is the people qualified with certificates or do they just have time spent experience. In the scheme of standards and universal acceptance and the general populas knowing, 2005 until now is a very short time unless government throw in national campaigns to educate. There are questions in the survey about awareness.

If you feel the questions are not addressing the real questions then email the originator. Mine came via the ECA. If enough people let them know then they may start to pay attention and try thinking of more original questions and options for scoring.

its not just people doing notifiable work and doing it crap and not notifing
plenty of part p people doing crap work and notify it as though its good
job today
kitchen company spark
done kitchen electrics
no isolators for aplliances
no isolator that i could find for hob
socket over drainer
all brand new !
he thinks he is great and knows it all, i told him on the phone ( i am doing loft job and he is doing kitchen as part of overall kitchen job) that isolator in back of cupboard is poor he disagrees, well he fitted the oven one in the cupboard and i cant find the hob one even though i looked in every cupboard

Reply to Part P, we want your feedback! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net