Discuss Part P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Another time I was asked to sort a fault in a tenants house, the RCD was tripping every now and again but quite often, so traced the fault to a leg crossing the landing, lifted the floor boards and spotted a dead mouse and a 2.5 cable with the insulation nibbled down to the conductors, exposing all three.

Another time I was asked to sort a fault in a tenants house, the RCD was tripping every now and again but quite often, so traced the fault to a leg crossing the landing, lifted the floor boards and spotted a dead mouse and a 2.5 cable with the insulation nibbled down to the conductors, exposing all three.

The mouse can't have done the part p exam or that wouldn't have happened :p

They hide your building regs Cert in part P(the only online part of the course).
I did this course because i had very little site experience.Aong side my 2330. Iv retrained after losing my job on the railway. First day i started i was told to do domestic work i needed 17th 2330 level 2 part P(aka building Regs). So it isnt a Qual and is. As faras im aware you ve got to have your building regs cert along with various Quals (2330)(17th)
I agree thaJoe blogs should nt be able to just do this and think he can do rewires,But in fairness its a nice taster if you were thinking of training to be a spark. And does teach you more things relevent to site work. As i say i did this along side my 2330 and because of that i found 2330 much easyer. Im not sticking up for dodgey part P sparkys.
But the course deffo was helpfull to me. Some people will choose to abuse the part P.

Hi
I am of the opinion that any course is better than no course. I am a domestic electrician for a numberof years and lecture at college on the subject. Over the years I have seen some horendous jobs from so called experienced sparkies. It is a bit like driving a car, the more we drive the more complacent we become and class ourselves as the best drivers because we are always doing it. Not so. I believe in refresher training and that we all should have it. Simply because we develope bad habits. I have seen this in real life and in numerous electrical jobs where a suposedly qualified sparky has undertaken previous installations. (The housholder usually uses the phrase, Eee well he said he was qualified or produces the installation certificate which includes a cooker circuit which has never ever been installed in the property) Mmmmm? seen it all. My opinion, any qualification is better than No qualification at all.
Cheers Hec

Just registered and found this very helpful in understanding qualifications required and how part B fits in to the overal scheme of things.
As an unqualified electrician i do any non notifiable work on my own renovations and am 'currently' trying to understand electrics and this is helpful. Thanks

Part p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The industry is ******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont have to be nic you have elecsa and napit but start from the bottom and work up the more experiance the better spark you'll make

Ok so from reading this I take it i am wasting my time and money doing | Electrical Training Course should just go ahead and do City & Guilds 2382 then do a couple of jobs give the niceic a lump of hard earned cash pass there assement and job done.

Why not, because for the part p domestic installer status what ever scheme you wish to join, they won't question you on regulations, the inspectors are told not to.

Each scheme fully understand your money is good and and anyone of the schemes will snap you up, so they get in first and another punter in the bag "so to speak"

I am already halfway though the city & guilds 2330 level 2

As far as it goes, you only need the 17th Edition to join a scheme for part p and unless get level 2330/3 with an NVQ3 your struggle to be recognized as a Qualified Electrician in the bigger scheme of things.

Part P and the domestic installer.

Well in my opinion understanding the "system" required to be allowed to legally do domestic installations without being an employee of an electrical contractor is far more difficult than any electrical theory.

I understand - now - that Part P is a "procedure" and not a qualification. I understand that in order to be paid for doing electrical work in a domestic house I need C&G 2382 (17th wiring regs), and I need C&G 2392 (testing & inspection) in order to "supervise" my own work.

The commercial training organisations (who's adverts pay for this site) will "sell" me those qualifications in as little as 17 days. Are they exploiting me? Well only in the same way that I am exploiting the householder who isn't allowed to do DIY rewiring.

Where the training organisations are being cagey is that they don't advertise the fact that this is just the first step in a longer process. If I understand it correctly I have to be a member of one of the (five?) trade organisations in order for my work to be legal just on my say-so. In order to join one of these organisations I have to have two jobs which they can inspect. I'm not yet clear how I do those two jobs and what their legal status is but the local authority building control seems to come into it (i'm sure I shall find out if I keep working at it).

From my time reading this site and finding out this information there seems to be resentment from those who have been in the trade from the days when you sat in college for years and learned everything about electrical services. That's understandable, but I can also see it from the other side of the fence. The householder used to have to pay the wages of someone who was qualified to fit out a factory from scratch. Now they have to pay the wages of someone who has learned to do domestic installations. From the point of view of the customer that's a fairer system, they are paying for what they want not what they were forced to have in the past.

Times are hard and there are a lot of people reading this who are looking for a way to get back into paid work. Many people like me who are too old to be offered an apprenticeship or training position. We are on the scrapheap. We have a choice; we can watch daytime TV and live on benefits or we can fight back. Domestic installation is a possible future for us. Of course "proper" qualified electricians resent us taking food out of their mouths, who wouldn't? I think that it's no different to the hordes of immigrants who own nothing but a rice bowl and who see our two cars and a flat screen TV and want to come here and share our future. Can you blame them? Would you do the same in their position? I would. In fact I am. If self-employment is the only employment I can get then so be it, I'll become a domestic installer.

Sorry, this started out as a question about the next step after the training schemes and turned into a philosophical daydream.
Laurie

You are an employers dream. You'll under cut any qualified spark, you'll do anything for a wage, you've also admitted that people who do these watered down courses are not the complete electrician! This is what the right wing/Tory elite have been trying to achieve for years......breaking the controls of employment the electricians and their union had and bring the "free market" into the fold! Safety will be compromised due to job pressures and so will quality of workmanship.

Hmm seems im not the only one retraining and confused. Done c&g 2330 level 2&3 , taking a part P exam monday which looks a nightmare not worth doing, and 17th in a months time. Phoned Napit, i have to take the 17th and the 2391 within 12 months of joining them. No mention of needing any part P, just going to do it cos it was thrown in free and all certs look good i guess. Anyway ive found something online that looks to me like you can sit at home and take the test online Part P - Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings | learn17thedition, Information resource website and Exam Practice Trainer . If thats the case sat there with your book open why am i reading about every bit of building legislation going to sit an exam monday :/ And its only 69 quid!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah the never ending Part P saga lol
PART P HAS THE BUILDING REGS BUILT INTO IT. This is a qualification. Part P Shows Joe bloggs where to route cables,depth,Basic cable cals,What Mcb's etc etc to use.And not wanting to take it away from the ppl who have done there Apprenticeship/NVQ 3. The Ppl that just do part p 17th and a test course of some kind. Will come unstuck when they get a problem. Because your full blown Spark has had all that extra training(How an RCD works/why etc etc) they will be called in. I can see why the full sparks get on 1 about these short courses. But you are nt just stuck on Domestic you have the Commercial and industrial field as well. Mr Short course is nt gunna start dicking around with 3 phase(Unless hes brainless). Also can you see Mr short Course passing 2391 within a year after doing a Part P course and the regs? Think Napit are playing a very clever card there lol. What happens if you dont pass? Are all your Certs invalid? I am an old fart now (37) im never going to get an apprenticeship not that there are any out there! Iv retrained 2330 lvl2/3 17th Part P and 2391 cant ever see i ll be able to get my NVQ the way things are. so im stuff doing domestic by the looks of it. I hope i wont get classed as a short course wonder :(

To be honest i dont know how people manage on a 5 day course. Ive been studying this stuff for a year now and ive struggled even coming from an engineering background, and thats just to learn the basics. I knew if i went for a 5 day thing and i had a client ask a weird question id never have been able to give a professional and tecnical answer and just looked a plonker. I guess some guys learn as a mate or something before doing the real short course. Im 41 and have learnt as much in a year part time as i did as an apprentice at 16 - 20 because ive wanted to. Im a realist and know this is going to take time and am going to start up part time around main job to see where it all goes. But i do think these courses ought to come with a warning, i saw so many pay so much just to fail badly. Plus i think theres a change in the law coming up this year that ends the 5 day course as it will demand a level 3 qual if not already in a registered organisation. Thats what ive seen on forums but noone seems to know ... think you will need the nvq3 which im hoping to fill out self employed. Some say the level 3 2330 will do. Dunno but get in with Napit or someone now may be wise.

I did Part P along side my 2330 level 2, So i was clued up with it it all. They must ram building regs down for throat for 5 days solid is all i can say.
Iv passed my 2330 lvl2,17th regs, 2391. Doing lvl3
I failed my online regs twice(Part P). I dont mind admitting it :S

Ive been complacent mate. Thought i didnt need to learn much for the part P. Ooohhh i was so wrong. Thought when level 3 was over all would be simple. Now im banging away at mock online tests . Mindu who the hell makes up things like depth of channeling, size of hole in joist, 1200mm to top of switch etc? Id like that job !

Reply to Part P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net