Discuss Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lots of uses of the words "You should" and "Your home" etc. Seems pretty clear cut to me

so you'll be standing up in court as an expert witness on the defence side for the first forum members to be prosecuted if they decide to crack down on this will you?

and in your expert witness statement will you be referencing a guide that specifically states that it's an introductory guide for homeowners, and not a definitive source of legal information?

Do as you will, but don't say that nobody attempted to put you right on this if / when it all goes horribly wrong.

What do you think the first thing the CPS schemes will do if they find they're losing significant numbers of members because of this campaign? Work with council building control and trading standards to launch prosecutions against those who're breaking the rules would be my educated guess.

, I'd suggest the case notes presented above were more relevant to the installer falsely claiming to be a CPS member and not fulfilling the duties that would be reasonably expected of one.
They were obviously prosecuted because of other more serious breaches, but the fact remains that among the charges they were prosecuted for were "failure to give a Building Notice to the Council prior to commencement of the work and he failed to give notice of commencement and completion of certain stages of the work"

They couldn't have been prosecuted for those failures if they didn't have a legal responsibility to notify building control in the first place.

Other than quoting the relevant legislation, and the guidance within that legislation, and relevant case law to prove my point, what other evidence would you need to see before accepting that you'd got this wrong?

hark at this one....lol....lol..

he chunters on about "civil disobedience".....lol...heard it all now....lol.....
Let's be fair Glenn, it was me who first used the phrase on this thread mate. So if you need someone to blame or point and laugh at....
Over here mate :)

So what do we do to fight the malaise within the trade Gavin?
Just sit down and let the likes of Emma Clancy tickle our tummys?

It's the scams that have caused this mess that we're faced with now mate, and everyone who continues to pay them is complicit as far as I'm concerned.

They need electricians, electricians don't need them.

hark at this one....lol....lol..

he chunters on about "civil disobedience".....lol...heard it all now....lol.....
Tony and others are calling for sparks to break the law in order to make a point.

Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, or commands of a government,

Except that Tony's trying to make out that they wouldn't actually be breaking the law when they clearly would.

The responsibility for all Building regs notifications is with the Home owner.
Enforcement action is taken against the home (building) owner.

From the Planning Portal;

if you are the
person (e.g. designer, builder, installer) carrying
out building work to which any requirement
of Building Regulations applies you have a
responsibility to ensure that the work complies
with any such requirement.
have you even read that quote, it clearly says that the person carrying out the work is responsible in the first sentence.

GavinA I think you need to re-read that.
First sentance is all you need to know.

i think the whole chuffin thing`s crap...

as if theres a Part P police going round...lol..

listen Gavin:

no-one gives two shytes about Part P police...or a council snooper....or anything else like that for that matter....

and has anyone ever been prosicuted for not notifying the bank of LABC?

has anyone been dealt with for installing down rite dangerous crap...the likes of which we see pics of in here regularly?

and all this about how the state may decide to `crack down`....crack down on what exactly?...folks doing their work?...getting on with their lives?

has anyone thought that society generally tends to police itself?

....the people generally know the difference between right & wrong...

i think the whole chuffin thing`s crap...

as if theres a Part P police going round...lol..

listen Gavin:

no-one gives two shytes about Part P police...or a council snooper....or anything else like that for that matter....

and has anyone ever been prosicuted for not notifying the bank of LABC?

You showed that APPALLING install that was on here a while back to the NICEIC, didn't you?
I think I remember you saying, they couldn't give a ....

It's a money making game between the schemes and the councils as far as I can see.

You showed that APPALLING install that was on here a while back to the NICEIC, didn't you?
I think I remember you saying, they couldn't give a ....

It's a money making game between the schemes and the councils as far as I can see.
yes i did...and he didn`t want to know..

the more i got on at him over it...the more irritated he got...

they didn`t want us hanging about front of house at the NIC stand i can tell you now....

Not really, it's an introductory guide aimed at the home owner, not at the tradesman involved, therefore it's focussed on the home owner's responsibilities.
Fair enough, and I am the first to slag off 'guides' but surely without a statutory definition of 'who is carrying out the work' if it (the guide) states that is the home owner then what else do we have to go on.

On a practical point, do you think it reasonable to expect the tradespeople to have to notify, with all the associated paperwork and telephone calls, every job they do and was that the intention?

On the court cases, it is not unknown for a court to get it wrong and perhaps they have drawn the same conclusion as you (if you are wrong) or could it be that the reporting was up to the usual standard written by some junior reporter on their first assignment.
We don't know.

This all rests on the definition of 'carrying out'.

As the Building Regulations apply to all parts, why would part P be different?

At total risk of being lambasted. I'm sure there are some really honest Part P, 17th Edition people who were not really told the full depth of what was required and feel that the course at least opened a door that wasn't there for them before. If all these Part P people want to do is basic electrical works safer than the DIY'er then what is the issue with that? Some people know thier limitations and stick to them.
I've got an Electrician friend who will never join a scheme and hates the way the business has gone, but doesn't rip my head off or call me an idiot for asking a question. He's been in the industry longer than I've been alive and actually enjoys the fact that I ask questions.

I'm honestly scared to ask for anything on here as I am worried people will just assume the worst in me and make me feel like **** for not knowing something.

I'm honestly scared to ask for anything on here as I am worried people will just assume the worst in me and make me feel like **** for not knowing something.

Mate it all depends on what the question is, I've seen questions on here from people who say "I'm a fully qualified electrician having done the DI course" then go on to ask how to wire a 2 way switch.

The whole point is that a properly qualified and competent person should not have to join a club to be told he or she is competent.

We have people who are told they are competent who are not properly qualified

OK lets just clear this ****e up so people understand...... to be " QUALIFIED " you do 3 YEARS {not days} at college and gain your core qualifications preferably whilst working alongside a sparks gaining practical experience !!!!!!!!!!!
NEXT........ do your NVQ3 followed by your AM2 which demonstrates you have carried out a variety of work outlined by city and guilds!!!!!!!!
THEN you apply for your jib card and get graded as an ELECTRICIAN !!!
Now regardless at to whether some of you think the NVQ is a farce and pointless and jib cards are crap this is how it is to be qualified and that is that im afraid like it or not !!!!!
Obviously there are many more qualifications to gain after your NVQ3 is complete but these 4-5 years doing a time served apprenticeship gaining valuable knowledge and experience is the ONLY way to be recognised as a REAL sparky.
Just having a 17th cert = NOT QUALIFIED
PART P BOLOX = NOT QUALIFIED
Just because you did a 5 week course and joined a scheme = NOT QUALIFIED
SIMPLES !!!!!!

Didn't have all this NVQ and AM2 when I finished my apprenticeship but I'm still qualified with plenty of experience

you're joining the club to enable you to self certify and notify the work to building control at in the region of 10% of the cost of making an individual building control application for your work.

While everyone is in a nit picking mood these clubs are competent persons schemes not LABC notification schemes

That is a valid and fair point Trev. I just felt that some of the bashing on here gets a bit mad and people like me then shy away from it. I love reading the posts on here and I genuinely learn some things.

I have been trying to upload page iv of the document which sets out the notification rules for gavin, but this bleeding site will not let me past and copy anything for some reason, it is quite clear who is responsible and who will face prosecution if the rules are not adhered to, it is the householder who is responsible, I just wish the paste would work, I cannot even send a PM at the moment, the site is broken for me.

I have been trying to upload page iv of the document which sets out the notification rules for gavin, but this bleeding site will not let me past and copy anything for some reason, it is quite clear who is responsible and who will face prosecution if the rules are not adhered to, it is the householder who is responsible, I just wish the paste would work, I cannot even send a PM at the moment, the site is broken for me.

Evening Mike, maybe you punctured it with one of your Horns, you need to be careful wher you point them buggers!!

iv
Approved Document P, 2013 edition
Building Regulations 2010
Notification of work

Responsibility for compliance
People who are responsible for building work (for example, the agent, designer, builder or installer)
must ensure that the work complies with all applicable requirements of the Building Regulations.
The building owner may also be responsible for ensuring that work complies with the Building
Regulations. If building work does not comply with the Building Regulations, the building owner may
be served with an enforcement notice

Reply to Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net