Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Pass or Fail in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. QSGAZ

QSGAZ Guest

Found this following a generator install, is this a pass or fail? what condition should these earth rod containment systems be in? is the a regulation? upload 2.jpg Upload.jpg

2. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

Why would you want to fail these purpose made earth rod pits?? The only thing i can see that needs improving is the protection of the actual cable connection to the rods. and to the connections to the earth pit bar. Something like ''Denso tape'' (preferred) or self amalgamating tape around the rod connection and the bar connections. The earth pits don't need to be waterproof, in fact it helps if water can enter and seep through down to the ground where the rod is positioned. Though in this case it seems the water is trapped in the pit.

So, not a fail but could well do with some comments. Such as those pointed out above and maybe some holes drilled in the base of the pit to allow water to escape. Both these earth pits should have covers of some sort over them, even if to just stop the leaves getting trapped in them ...lol!!!

3. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

I was thinking that the water could probably do with some salts being added, to increase conductivity.
    I take it that this is a TT installation, and the rods are not for the lightening protection?

4. QSGAZ

QSGAZ Guest

Thats what i mean i wouldnt fail, would it need improvement to a bs7671 (code 4) or requires improvment (code2?) , yeah its TT. theres four of these surrounding a generator.

5. mogga

mogga Just me Electrician's Arms

by their nature earth pits fill with water If your worried denso as suggested only other thing Id worry about is Mr ,Mrs jones walking down the street and sticking their foot in the pit breaking his,her leg falling banging her nose hence ruining her topless modeling career and claiming the guy who tested the installation 5 years previously

6. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

They shouldn't be filled with standing water mogga, the water should be able to leech away over the rod. This pit looks as if its been set in concrete and escape of the water at best, far too restricted if not impossible... But nothing a few drilled drain hole won't fix...lol!!