Discuss Pass or Fail in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Q

QSGAZ

Found this following a generator install, is this a pass or fail? what condition should these earth rod containment systems be in? is the a regulation? Pass or Fail upload 2 - EletriciansForums.netPass or Fail Upload - EletriciansForums.net

Found this following a generator install, is this a pass or fail? what condition should these earth rod containment systems be in? is the a regulation? View attachment 10709View attachment 10710

Why would you want to fail these purpose made earth rod pits?? The only thing i can see that needs improving is the protection of the actual cable connection to the rods. and to the connections to the earth pit bar. Something like ''Denso tape'' (preferred) or self amalgamating tape around the rod connection and the bar connections. The earth pits don't need to be waterproof, in fact it helps if water can enter and seep through down to the ground where the rod is positioned. Though in this case it seems the water is trapped in the pit.

So, not a fail but could well do with some comments. Such as those pointed out above and maybe some holes drilled in the base of the pit to allow water to escape. Both these earth pits should have covers of some sort over them, even if to just stop the leaves getting trapped in them ...lol!!!

I was thinking that the water could probably do with some salts being added, to increase conductivity.
I take it that this is a TT installation, and the rods are not for the lightening protection?

Thats what i mean i wouldnt fail, would it need improvement to a bs7671 (code 4) or requires improvment (code2?) , yeah its TT. theres four of these surrounding a generator.

by their nature earth pits fill with water If your worried denso as suggested only other thing Id worry about is Mr ,Mrs jones walking down the street and sticking their foot in the pit breaking his,her leg falling banging her nose hence ruining her topless modeling career and claiming the guy who tested the installation 5 years previously

by their nature earth pits fill with water If your worried denso as suggested only other thing Id worry about is Mr ,Mrs jones walking down the street and sticking their foot in the pit breaking his,her leg falling banging her nose hence ruining her topless modeling career and claiming the guy who tested the installation 5 years previously

They shouldn't be filled with standing water mogga, the water should be able to leech away over the rod. This pit looks as if its been set in concrete and escape of the water at best, far too restricted if not impossible... But nothing a few drilled drain hole won't fix...lol!!

Reply to Pass or Fail in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock