Discuss Passive houses timber frame in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

think it's something to do with low energy

That'll be kingspan everywhere then :eek:
Not going to ask the obvious, oh go on then Kingspan? Remember before you answer I'm old school therefore unfamiliar with some of the modern building methods.

also known as celotex ( different trade name). i call it PITA.

How odd! I've been working I one we wired a few years back only today.
Where cables passed through to the outside of the building we had to seal around them using special seal things to keep the house air tight. The house was built using natural insulation, no awful fibreglass or kingspan. The idea of a passive house is that it should consume very little energy, heavily insulated and airtight to prevent draughts, with an automatically controlled ventilation system, triple glazed windows etc. The sun, cooking and the warmth of the occupants should be enough to keep the building warm without the need for central heating. The extra insulation also makes the house very quiet.

There was masses of insulation, several feet thick in the walls and roof etc. but it was great for us as the insulation was behind sheets of sterling board then there was an un-insulated void between that board and the plasterboard to run the cables in. The plasterboard ceiling was suspended and again the void was un-insulated. Super for installing the LED down lights, which was good as there was 149 of them throughout. Almost no cables were installed in contact with insulation.

There was a bit of extra wiring for the whole house ventilation but nothing special. The building is quite big so we stuck an addressable fire alarm in. I'd love to live in such a property, the annual gas consumption for this 5 bedroom properties heating is less than £40 a year.

All timber frame new builds I've encountered are a ball ache and I've done about 10 different types!
Most where for private builders who like to keep changing the spec but that's another story!

Reply to Passive houses timber frame in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net