Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Pat test for dyson vacuum in the Insurance for Electricians area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Groot

Groot New EF Member

Business Name:
    None
    Could anyone tell me,if I visually inspect a dyson vacuum cleaner, then put a blue inspection label on this,could I then say its been pat tested? Thank you

2. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

Not in this thread no as you have asked in another.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    No

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Hi,who is the testing on behalf of?

I don't know if things have altered,but Dyson's were not licensed for commercial use or hire. Even a private let,with one included as the part-furnishing or installed equipment,would be a commercial venture.

Filters hard to get and expensive...that,and the best vacuums having bags...sorry,James :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

What on earth has the color of a sticker got to do with anything?

6. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

A man after my own heart! I strongly dislike dysons; from their atrociously hideous designs, to their innate and unfailing ability to break down. Every one seems to buy them and rave on about them. Lets be clear about this - they are rubbish, tatty, bad for the environment (from the perspective of the entire life cycle from raw materials, manufacturing costs, and the inevitability that many end up in land fill). They suck. Or should that be they suck for a little bit then don't really suck that much.
    Get a Miele. Prices are comparable. Get a shed load of cheap bags off Amazon or similar. Be kind to the environment. And FFS can that Dyson fella stop going on with himself. He seems to have declared himself as the spokesperson for British engineering. You are not. And you could never be so until you design something that works a)well b)with reasonable longevity c)that is not hideously designed.
    Oh, and the aperture on those noisy bog blade things is too narrow!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    I'd PAT a dyson with a lump hammer. known in the trade as destructive testing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I would have to agree. Although i had a healthy admiration for his early work and endeavours,at a certain point,he did what a few inventors do...start thinking like a business.

After that,decisions,designs and policies,are no different than any other commercial entity,whose primary concern,is monetary.

After having made a success,efforts and time can be directed to ideas of a more philanthropic nature - which,to be fair,he has done.

I do know the Dyson gear,intimately,and no,i haven't been doing THAT,to one :rolleyes:

When my first lad was born,his mum had to stay in hospital a while,and i was firmly docked at home. During this time,i completely stripped the DC01 we had,and i mean completely! As in switch contacts,recoil spring - every single part possible to dismantle.

I still have the thing,and yes,it works.

It was obvious that the concept was unobtainable,without the additional filters (two on that model) and to that end,it still shared a mutual and necessary design feature,of any bagged machine.

The only difference was,one had 2 jobs to perform,to return to zero,whilst the other had only one.

In my opinion,if you want a device,which cleans your house,with no faults,fiddling,excess maintenance,has ease of use,reliability and care.......What you require....is yer mum :):):)

• Like Like x 1
  9. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

I have had no issues with my 2 over 15 years

The filters are washable and don’t need changing so the costs of these are irrelevant aren’t they?

You lot just may need a little more mechanical sympathy..

10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Crikey Tel, better not let my Mrs see this thread, She even has a name for Her Dyson "Oleg"

11. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

IIRC Dysons are Class II with a moulded plug, so you any PATesting will be visual and functional only. Money for nothing and your chicks for free.

12. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

What model have you got?

The web is full of replacement filters,so somebody is changing them,and you cannot wash a HEPA filter,due to the way they function.It would be like forcing wee the wrong way through your liver,and expecting the expensive claret you supped,to pour out the other side...

I am the most mechanically sympathetic creature on earth:) but i will not be blagged willingly - if i marketed a new vacuum as bagless,and never mentioned any maintenance tasks,then you opened it,to reveal a bag...would you accept me saying "It's not a bag"...it's a house-debris-purse..."

If you have a change of heart,i will lend you my Ewbank :cool: