Discuss PAT Testing - Is it essential. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We get many calls asking if we are having our devices tested annually. We do not currently have PAT testing done. Is it essential that we do as a small business.? Can anyone advise what the purpose of this is as we have been a family business established over 40 years and never had this done. What are the implications if we don't have it done?

You're obliged under Electricity at Work Regulations (I believe, someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure) to ensure the safety of your staff and members of the public who enter your premises.

A PAT testing regime can help demonstrate you're fulfilling your duties by ensuring the portable equipment is safe for continued use. Without PAT testing records, if the unthinkable happened and someone was injured or killed as a result of an electrical fault, it could be argued that you've been negligent.

The same goes for the fixed wiring and equipment of any premises you're responsible for where business is conducted. This is why it is recommended that you have an electrical installation condition report produced periodically (the recommended periods vary depending on the type and use of the premises).

It is only advised/recommended. You could perform visual inspections yourself to evidence that you are 'maintaining electrical systems'. Visual inspections will find 90% of problems anyway. Just make sure you keep a log. Obviously if it's a high risk area where items and cables can get damaged then it might be different

If you go ahead and get your appliances tested, get some quotes in. The cheapest may not be the best, however. There are unscrupulous companies out there that just take your money and sticker-pass everything. Even the visually obvious things like unsuitable plug tops, wrong size fuses and frayed flexes.

There is no legal requirement to PATest. You must however abide by the following;
Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
Failure to comply with any of the above can result in hefty fines should the worst happen. One way to ensure some compliance is to PATest. The H&S website gives further advice.

@ OP.you have a duty of care to ensure that your premises are a safe environment for you, your staff, and your customers. part of this is safe operation of electrical equipment. PAT testing , although not mandatory, is one way of ensuring that appliances are safe to use. however, this testing should be done by a reputable company and proper records kept, not by the 50p/item sticker brigade, where their monkeys' incompetence will come back to bite your arse as you are the ultimate person responsible.

It's up to the responsible person to determine the PAT schedule...but few office managers can determine this correctly, thus the scam-mongers tell you it has to be every 12 months...which is rubbish. Each item has to be assessed for frequency of testing. Sticker-boys are scammers. Get a proper professional in to A) tell you what needs tested, and how often
and
B)do the tests.

I can vouch for that. Was in a Holiday Inn Express last night for wifes birthday in Newcastle. There was a desk fan in the room, (no AC), and I noticed there wasn't a sticker on it.
Probably means the sticker guy missed that one, or the receptionist had brought the fan from home.

Just about every site I work on requires equipment to have a PAT sticker on it dated within the last 3 months.
The site I’m on now, we have to put stickers and record the details of sub contractors’ equipment.

Nobody pat tests any more, the big hotel chains don't even do it, every penny is a prisoner and a profit
I stay most weeks at either PremierInn or BestWestern hotels. At every one I go to I check the PAT labels (yes, I lead a sad life) and all I've seen have been up to date. All the tools on our vans have to have an up to date PAT record before we can use them on site.

I can vouch for that. Was in a Holiday Inn Express last night for wifes birthday in Newcastle. There was a desk fan in the room, (no AC), and I noticed there wasn't a sticker on it.

Have stayed weekends in about 20 hotels around the UK in the last 2 years and not seen one single pat testing sticker, only place you see them now is on shop tills by the big facilities management companies that have probably mostly been green stickered without checking.

How often do you check your own personal Power Consuming Equipment at home? Unfortunately thats how a lot of big concerns act, not something that many of them worry about, leave it alone until someone gets hurt and then you may get another Grenfell, blame flying in all directions.

Reply to PAT Testing - Is it essential. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net