Discuss PAT Testing - Is it essential. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

How long from new do you suggest until the first test in a domestic setting as it was on Watchdog regarding new appliances catching fire? The question would be regarding Grenfell is what caused that appliance in the flat to catch fire would PAT testing prevented it. Most of us on here are competent electricians how often do we inspect and PATtest our own equipment apart from when we have to by the building contractors. Post 5 and 9 sums the OP's answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long from new do you suggest until the first test in a domestic setting as it was on Watchdog regarding new appliances catching fire? The question would be regarding Grenfell is what caused that appliance in the flat to catch fire would PAT testing prevented it.
It would have highlighted any fault if carried out by a competent Tester

Just a mini-update here.
Today I carried out PAT on all the electrical tools and other equipment currently in use in our Men's Shed charity building.
4 relatively new power drills/grinders were fine. The main extension lead which powered the 2 most essential appliances, the kettle and fridge, was a Fail due to 3 abrasions on the cable, of exactly the type you would expect to find on an extension lead in use by many users who have little regard for safety.
2 other tools, a sander and a reciprocating saw, were potential fails due to incorrect fuse size and poor termination in the plugs...one was a Spanish import with odd cable colours, and a UK plug retro-fitted. I replaced the fuses, and re-terminated the plugs in those.
3 other items simply had 13A fuses where 3A would have been appropriate, and interestingly, 2 older drills had, correctly, 5A fuses, to allow for initial start-up loads.
In summary, a high proportion were Fail or potential Fail, but as the remedial work was minor, that was carried out.
I mentioned in a previous post about testing schedules. We have all seen the "guidelines" but frankly, in this present situation, with multiple users of tools that are not their own, and varying levels of skill in deployment of those tools, a 12 monthly test on the fridge and radio may be ok, but I am looking at weekly tests for handheld, high-risk gear and FVI daily on some. It's not mandatory, but a system has to be in place, and with this setup, and the likely users, I believe a very strict regime is required. So, is PAT essential?
I believe it is, and must be tailored closely to the circumstances if it is to be meaningful and effective.
Just for the sticker-jockeys out there, I tested 14 items before I took a lunch break, and that, including swapping fuses etc, took me 2 hours...it takes quite a few minutes to check the full length of a 10 or 15m extension reel with 4 outlets! Yes, I am slow...there's no money in doing it properly, unless the cash is incidental, and no, I didn't do a Risk Assessment every time I climbed a ladder.

Portable appliance testing is compulsory for properties in Scotland that are privately let, and has been for a number of years. Any appliances that are supplied as part of a tenancy agreement MUST be tested, no ifs or buts. This is required to be done in conjunction with an EICR prior to the commencement of the tenancy. The landlord is required by law to supply copies of the EICR and PA test certificate to the tenant(s).

There is no statutory guidance as to the frequency of subsequent PA testing/ I reccomend that it be done at five-year intervals so that it runs concurrent with the expiry of the EICR and can be done at the same that the installation is due for its next inspection and testing.

Attachments

• Electrical installations and appliances in private rented properties.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Good points there JK! However, I must beg to differ on a minor point...PAT is not compulsory on residential lettings, however evidence that all appliances in a rental property are safe IS mandatory...and so, PAT is the easiest way of proving this. If you have provided all brand new appliances for the first rental, PAT is inappropriate, or at least optional, provided you can evidence the position.
Also, as you rightly say, EICR is indeed compulsory in rentals...I believe Scotland leads the way here.
For those of you unfamiliar with the Scottish system, the following are mandatory when letting out a property:
1. EICR
2. Gas safety certificate (where appropriate)
3. EPC
4. Evidence of safety of portable appliances (PAT is the easiest way)
5. Tenant Information Pack (now superseded, but incorporated in the new PRS rental agreement)
6. Landlord Registration Certificate
7. Lodging of deposit in an approved deposit scheme (fine of up to 2 months rental if not lodged within 30 days)
8. Mains-wired, interlinked smoke/heat alarms, for each hall, main circulation area, kitchen (recent government decision, not yet law, will allow 10 year LiIon battery powered units, linked by radio module, so mains/hard wiring will not be essential...and a good thing too!)
9. Approved emergency call-out telephone numbers for the Factors/building maintenance crew
10. Landlords have to verify Tenant status, ID, Money Laundering, and ...just about to be law...Landlords must verify Tenant's right of abode in UK.

I did this sh*t for years...it just got harder and harder, but all my Landlords complied or I dropped them...

And, every January, I had to send a complete list of every Landlord I represented, every property they had, every rental and deposit they received...several days work, for no pay...

and I am glad I do pro bono for charity now!

Talking of which, the scenario of private sector rental (PRS) vs charity Men's Shed is quite a contrast, and so if I didn't make it clear earlier, I can't schedule PAT every 1.2.3.4 or 5 years, because the needs of the users are changing daily, as some have good skills, some have no skills but want to learn, some have skills they have forgotten/lost, and some have health problems that make daily routines arduous. So, as I said, we need tailored PAT for the regime in question. I manage several rentals, and do I PAT the fridge every year? No, of course not...but my local hairdresser, who is very safety-conscious (unusually!) wants his dryers tested weekly as they are hand-held appliances, in use by many and varied people...either he pays me a modest sum to test out of hours on a Monday, or he replaces them...bet not too many of those guys about!

I can vouch for that. Was in a Holiday Inn Express last night for wifes birthday in Newcastle. There was a desk fan in the room, (no AC), and I noticed there wasn't a sticker on it.

I look after a number of holiday rentals and all are tested. However there is not one sticker in evidence.

If you look at the Code of Practice you will see that there is no obligation to use stickers and the use of stickers demonstrates absolutely nothing as was evidenced when my wife returned from an evening class with a pass sticker on her sewing machine because it 'needed it', it was not tested.

Each of my properties has the appliance register on display in the 'house' folder. Most also display detailed pass reports. As I refuse to test the appliances unless the fixed wiring has been tested, their is also an EICR which is also displayed in this folder. All in accordance with the cop and avoiding the use of stickers.

Finding it interesting that those north of the border are pushing the PRS and the requirement for PAT when ISITEE has superseded PAT or to be more correct has given PAT it's correct name in an attempt to stop the buck passing on fixed appliances which are invariably overlooked.

ISITEE is about as useful as an MOT it is only really valid the moment it is done if someone subsequently gets injured before the next check who is to blame

For those of you unfamiliar with the Scottish system, the following are mandatory when letting out a property:
1. EICR
2. Gas safety certificate (where appropriate)
3. EPC
4. Evidence of safety of portable appliances (PAT is the easiest way)
5. Tenant Information Pack (now superseded, but incorporated in the new PRS rental agreement)
6. Landlord Registration Certificate
7. Lodging of deposit in an approved deposit scheme (fine of up to 2 months rental if not lodged within 30 days)
8. Mains-wired, interlinked smoke/heat alarms, for each hall, main circulation area, kitchen (recent government decision, not yet law, will allow 10 year LiIon battery powered units, linked by radio module, so mains/hard wiring will not be essential...and a good thing too!)
9. Approved emergency call-out telephone numbers for the Factors/building maintenance crew
10. Landlords have to verify Tenant status, ID, Money Laundering, and ...just about to be law...Landlords must verify Tenant's right of abode in UK.

You forgot about the provision of carbon monoxide alarms in rooms containing gas appliances and a 'principal room' or bedroom where a flue passes through. :D

Ah, yes...I did overlook that!
Just another requirement...
Good point, JK!

I expect there will be more...

UNG, I agree, ISITEE is a better way forward...however, the sticker-jockeys can't extend to ISITEE...at 50p a go, how can you expect a proper service, especially for any appliance that doesn't simply plug in?
Of course, there is the argument that fixed wiring is beyond PAT...but then, we have appliances that bridge the gap.

Here are 3 bits of advice given by the HSE
Most of what is spouted as compulsory is myth

There is no legal requirement to label equipment that has been inspected or tested, nor is there a requirement to keep records of these activities. However, a record and / or labelling can be a useful management tool for monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of the maintenance scheme – and to demonstrate that a scheme exists.

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).

No. The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. It does not say how this should be done or how often. Employers should take a risk-based approach, considering the type of equipment and what it is being used for. If it is used regularly and moved a lot e.g. a floor cleaner or a kettle, testing (along with visual checks) can be an important part of an effective maintenance regime giving employers confidence that they are doing what is necessary to help them meet their legal duties. HSE provides guidance on how to maintain

UNG, I agree, ISITEE is a better way forward...however, the sticker-jockeys can't extend to ISITEE...at 50p a go, how can you expect a proper service, especially for any appliance that doesn't simply plug in?

There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't inspect and test all appliances no matter how they are connected if that is what they are contracted to do

Of course, there is the argument that fixed wiring is beyond PAT...but then, we have appliances that bridge the gap.

Fixed wiring comes under the EICR, fixed appliances do not and have never been considered to be part of the fixed wiring installation so there is no real and valid argument they are appliances and should be inspected, tested and recorded as such by the company carrying out the PAT

I'm in total agreement with you, UNG...I was simply pointing out that some so-called PA Testers won't/can't test any appliance that doesn't have a plug on it...which is just silly.

People often ask why our PAT prices are so high, and we tell them its because we do it properly, the number of times I have found things that have been tested before with faults or incorrect labels on them (bought extension leads that are rated 10A with a 10A pre fitted fuse and the last pat person has written 13A fuse fitted as they have not checked the plug for fuse rating or signs of over heating).
In our area we have a reputation for not being cheap, but when people use us we nearly always get repeat custom.

The item may just have a bar code or an item number to refer it to the records, especially if it is part of an in house regime.

It takes time, Doomed, I agree with you, often it's clear that the last test was not a proper check at all. Done to a price, not to a safety level.
It takes time to check a 15m extension lead FVI...and that costs money. No point in having the checks/tests done if they are not done properly. A professional should be happy that he/she has left the job having done what was necessary, and not open to criticism. A professional job should mean a professional fee...

It can depend, somewhat, on the nature of the client. For instance, I know a couple of DJ's who provide music for various 'do's'. Obviously, some of their clients, or insurance, insist on some form of paperwork to ensure electrical safety of equipment. One old chap, in his 80's, teaches ball room dancing in a few clubs......two items and a lead....but says he has to have them tested, regularly.
I do it as a favour but I always seem to find a tenner stuck in my tester box.:)

If you provide electrical equipment to the public or your employees you are legally required that it's safe to use, including any training required .
You are also required to have it maintained, but each appliance may have a different environment, domestic, commercial or industrial. A written risk assessment will assist you in deciding the frequency of maintenance including the testing

You're obliged under Electricity at Work Regulations (I believe, someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure) to ensure the safety of your staff and members of the public who enter your premises.

A PAT testing regime can help demonstrate you're fulfilling your duties by ensuring the portable equipment is safe for continued use. Without PAT testing records, if the unthinkable happened and someone was injured or killed as a result of an electrical fault, it could be argued that you've been negligent.

The same goes for the fixed wiring and equipment of any premises you're responsible for where business is conducted. This is why it is recommended that you have an electrical installation condition report produced periodically (the recommended periods vary depending on the type and use of the premises).
I concur.

Reply to PAT Testing - Is it essential. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock