Discuss PAT testing needed? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've have a small sole trader business which is mainly buying and selling electronic items on a popular online market place. The items I deal with are almost exclusively second hand laptops and PC parts. Do I need to be PAT (or any other kind of) testing these things before selling them? The PC parts don't plug directly into the mains, but the chargers on the laptops do. Any advice appreciated.

I've have a small sole trader business which is mainly buying and selling electronic items on a popular online market place. The items I deal with are almost exclusively second hand laptops and PC parts. Do I need to be PAT (or any other kind of) testing these things before selling them? The PC parts don't plug directly into the mains, but the chargers on the laptops do. Any advice appreciated.
Yes,, the mains leads will require testing, how many units are we talking about? or is this an as and when concern.

It's low volume stuff on an as and when basis.
In that case Mate hardly worth me quoting Pat is something you could do as long as you are deemed competent, know qualification required, I would imagine you could hire a Test Meter at a reasonable price.

Bit confused now - from what I'm reading, formal PAT testing is more of a 'cover yourself in the event of a problem' thing than a legal requirement - the legal requirement is just that the items are safe. So my question is, am I legally required to PAT test these plug leads or is it more of a thing I can point at to cover myself if there's a problem after I've sold it?

So my question is, am I legally required to PAT test these plug leads or is it more of a thing I can point at to cover myself if there's a problem after I've sold it?

To answer your first question - that's a definitive 'No', as PAT (or ISITEE to use it's correct name) is not law.

Regarding the second part of your question, the answer is not as clear cut. Let's say as a trader you sell something that proves to be defective and unfortunately causes an electrical fire. The purchaser (homeowner) will go to his insurer, who should cough up. The insurer will then look to see if they can go after the person or body responsible to recoup their losses. This would be you. Of course, if every electrical item you sell is subject to ISITEE prior to despatch/collection and you have the test records to prove the process, then you are in a good position in terms of due diligence and maximising your efforts to minimise risk. Your business insurer may well insist on this, for them to cover you.

Reading he replies in this thread, can someone clarify/answer these for me please

1. As an electrician with both inspect and test quals, would I be deemed competent to carry out pat tests, or do I need that c&g pat testing qual?

2. Am with stroma, but PAT is not part of my scope with them. Do I need to be with a scheme for PAT or can I just go out and do it and don't need to inform anyone? (Havent asked stroma to add PAT to my scope yet, but if scheme is not needed, why bother?)

Thanks.

Reading he replies in this thread, can someone clarify/answer these for me please

1. As an electrician with both inspect and test quals, would I be deemed competent to carry out pat tests, or do I need that c&g pat testing qual?

2. Am with stroma, but PAT is not part of my scope with them. Do I need to be with a scheme for PAT or can I just go out and do it and don't need to inform anyone? (Havent asked stroma to add PAT to my scope yet, but if scheme is not needed, why bother?)

Thanks.
You just need to competent, no quals needed, get hold of a copy of the CoP for ISITEE as PAT is no longer used. If I knew where my copy is you could have it, don't hold your breath, could have been binned I'll have a look later. and let you know. One thing to remember it's not just plug in stuff, it includes Mobile, stationary and fixed electrical equipment.

Last edited:
As an electrician with both inspect and test quals, would I be deemed competent to carry out pat tests, or do I need that c&g pat testing qual?

The level of study and understanding you have undergone to achieve an I&T qualification far surpasses the one day training that many non-electricians undertake to achieve an ISITEE qualification. Only you know whether you are competent, however imagine yourself in the position of an expert witness, being asked to interpret a set of test results and what they actually mean in lay terms. I'm sure your I&T knowledge would enable you to explain this comprehensively, whereas I'm not so sure that a one day wonder with a 2377-22 could do the same.

Do I need to be with a scheme for PAT?
No.

You just need to competent, no quals needed, get hold of a copy of the CoP for ISITEE as PAT is no longer used. If I knew where my copy is you could have it, don't hold your breath, could have been binned I'll have a look later. and let you know. One thing to remember it's not just plug in stuff, it includes Mobile, stationary and fixed electrical equipment.
Just checked Mate sorry to say her in doors has binned most of my old paperwork, so sorry, looks like you will have to fork out for a copy, good luck.

Reply to PAT testing needed? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net