Discuss Pat Testing Whirlpool Freezer. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tdunbar

Whirlpool chest freezer. Earth bond to compressor. No earth bond to casing.
Contacted Whirlpool for clarification and got reply as follows:-

"Dear Mr Dunbar

Thank you for contacting Whirlpool UK

Regrettably I am unable to offer you any technical resolution and would only recommend for a Whirlpool
engineer to attend and diagnose.

I am sorry we were unable to be of any more help at this time.

Regards"

Wouldn't you have thought that the Whirlpol itself would be able to advise on this. I think even the COP 4th Ed, also recommends contacting manufacturers on issues.

Anyone help with matter of no earth bond detected with casing please?

Thabnks

I can't imagine getting a sensible response out of many manufacturers.
Generally speaking if I got a decent earth continuity to the compressor I'd be happy with that - the casing is probably fairly well insulated and any metalwork on it could be sufficiently insulated from live parts.

Thanks Toby
Tried every screw I could find to get contact, the metal hinges on the lid and even a bare metal bar at the rear below the compressor which was seemed to be screwed to the casing without success.

Perhaps I should just advise the client that in my view the appliance is dangerous and should be returned to the supplier and to report the matter to Trading Standards.

Usually domestic freezers have an earth termination on the steel chassis, one on the body of the thermostat which is in turn fixed to the steel chassis with a nut and another on the side of the dome of the hermetic compressor. The compressor is almost invariably in contact with the chassis via the copper/steel pipework and the aluminum evaporator. I don't see how you'd get an earth bond at the compressor and not to the chassis.

I can't imagine getting a sensible response out of many manufacturers.
Generally speaking if I got a decent earth continuity to the compressor I'd be happy with that - the casing is probably fairly well insulated and any metalwork on it could be sufficiently insulated from live parts.
Adam....you cant make statements like this mate....

to the O/P: if the class of equipment being tested cannot be verified by visual then treat as class 1....this would include any metal casing/containment

Adam....you cant make statements like this mate....

to the O/P: if the class of equipment being tested cannot be verified by visual then treat as class 1....this would include any metal casing/containment
That's on the provision of the first bit, ie
"if I got a decent earth continuity to the compressor"
In my experience the outside of a fridge or freezer is generally painted, and unlikely to give you a good return path.

But users would not generally have access to the compressor Adam. The purpose of the earth is to protect the user from injury in the event of a breakdown of the insulation of the electrical supply. Users will normally be making contact with the outer casing.

Yes tdunbar but the outer casing is generally covered in paint, which doesn't give a very good connection unless you scratch it which the customer probably doesn't want you to do. Likewise they probably don't want you making a career out of testing one appliance and telling them they've been sold a potentially dangerous appliance and they need to contact Trading Standards.

I've told you how I PAT test freezers tdunbar; if you don't like that then do it your way.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread Adam. Much appreciated but I think I will air on the side of caution, investigate a little more and report my findings to the client.

Well lo and behold Whirlpool has come back and advised me it has referred my query to its factory. What was the problem with doing that earlier?

Well lo and behold Whirlpool has come back and advised me it has referred my query to its factory. What was the problem with doing that earlier?

And that is where it has remained unanswered to date.
So as Whirlpool don't forget me I referred the matter to the Environmental Health Dept of the Council for the area and it has taken an interest in the matter. It does have to refer the matter to the Council for where Whirlpool is based in UK but I have done my bit and, in the worst case scenario, it is unlikely I will be subjected to a verbal thrashing in a witness box.

It's class 11

Some reasons why I don't think so.

A, It does not have the Class 2 symbol anywhere so technically, according to the COP, it is a Class 1 appliance.

B, The Council recently sent me Whirlpool's guidance on the appliance which states that the appliance must be earthed.

C, Why would you have earth continuity to a part that is not readily accessible to the user and not to parts which the user is exposed to?

Hi was there a conclusion to this with whirlpool, I ask because I pat test for a charity and I have a Smeg fridge with the same result, it is not marked as class 2 and has earth continuity only to the compressor.

Reply to Pat Testing Whirlpool Freezer. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net