JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) Path from Domestic Installer to JIB.

Discuss Path from Domestic Installer to JIB. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

CRog92

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at doing a course to become a DI but I don't want to just be doing residential maintenance forever, i'd like to work on site eventually but have been told I would not be able to unless I work as a mate or do the 2365 level 2 and 3 and the NVQ 3 after and I don't have the funds at the moment to do the 2365 and so on.

The course I'm looking at doing gives me the following quals:

Principles of Electro Technology – City & Guilds 4141-02
Domestic Installation Workshop – City & Guilds 4141-01.
Part P Domestic Installers Course – City & Guilds 2393.
17th Edition Wiring Regulations - City & Guilds 2382-15.
Inspection & Testing Course – City & Guilds 2392-10.
PAT Testing - City & Guilds 2377-22 & 2377-32

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you do this domestic installer course with a view to eventually gaining a NVQ to gain a ECS graded card for site work, then you will have to start from scratch when you go the NVQ route.

The domestic course is a selection of parts of the 2365 content and will limit you prospects wise and knowledge wise.

If you want a NVQ in the end, then make it your goal and starting point.

Hi,you say "just" a domestic installer...to be good at that,you would need more than just a course,you would need a rake of experience,too.

Do not think,that any course,bypasses the need for real experience and some slog thrown in.

It will be this experience,which allows any future academic input,to soak in,and make sense. :)

If you really want to become a qualified electrician then do the 2365 on an evening at college. Should be cheaper than the courses you are looking at doing for the DI.

Then try and get a job through the day as a labourer/mate. With a bit of experiance and after completing the 2365, you can then do the NVQ.

Good things come to those who wait and all that!

Jay

City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling What is this qualification? Sounds made up to me, won't get much recognition in the industry and you'll probably struggle to get a job. Micky Mouse springs to mind.

City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations This is NOT a qualification.

City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course This is NOT a proper inspection and testing qualification, this is only at level 2standard. 2394 and 2395 are what you need, not this.

City & Guilds 2382-12 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments) About the only thing recongisible from the above list - and again, this is a joke, any muggins can pass this.

Would this be a good starting point to become a domestic installer No.

Copy and pasted off bobit.

I’d echo what others have said and do the college course mate over a longer period. Cramping everything in such a short time in this industry is asking for trouble IMO.
Being an electrician is a long drawn out out process which takes yrs to become competent properly and short course are just about making money and getting you through it while not addressing the fundamentals throughly.

Bets of luck what you decide.

City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling What is this qualification? Sounds made up to me, won't get much recognition in the industry and you'll probably struggle to get a job. Micky Mouse springs to mind.

City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations This is NOT a qualification.

City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course This is NOT a proper inspection and testing qualification, this is only at level 2standard. 2394 and 2395 are what you need, not this.

City & Guilds 2382-12 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments) About the only thing recongisible from the above list - and again, this is a joke, any muggins can pass this.

Would this be a good starting point to become a domestic installer No.

Copy and pasted off bobit.
Give the PAT testing course a miss

If you really want to become a qualified electrician then do the 2365 on an evening at college. Should be cheaper than the courses you are looking at doing for the DI.

Then try and get a job through the day as a labourer/mate. With a bit of experiance and after completing the 2365, you can then do the NVQ.

Good things come to those who wait and all that!

Jay
I feel Bob Mugabe,would dispute this :cool:

Give the PAT testing course a miss
PA testing! Sahara Sahara!
My advice is make sure that the C+G you do partake in has a bridge course that can allow you to do the AM2 and be able to get a gold card if you want one. I’ve got the 2397-30 (domestic installer) which has a bridge to get the 2357 which the apprentices do in commercial/ industrial with the AM2.
With so many courses to choose from you could ‘paint yourself’ into a corner for want of a better ‘trade’ pun!
I’ve been doing commercial agency work the last 7 months to get the experience and evidence for when I need to bridge that gap.
Research previous threads on this forum for extra views.

Am I right in thinking you dont need the 2365 Level 2 for a JIB Gold card, just the 2365 Level 3, NVQ & AM2? Maybe the Level 2 H&S?

& also you can do it in any order?

Path from Domestic Installer to JIB. Screenshot_20180118-130412 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking you dont need the 2365 Level 2 for a JIB Gold card, just the 2365 Level 3, NVQ & AM2? Maybe the Level 2 H&S?

& also you can do it in any order?

View attachment 40313

Yes I think that’s correct but don’t you need your level 2 2365 to be considered for the level 3 2365.

So in theory I believe you’ll need them both.

JIB gold card, installation electrician requires

Tech cert at L3
NVQ3
AM2

Add the 2394/5 and having held the NVQ for 2 years and then you get approved electrician grade.

Add 2396 and having held this qual for 5 years to be graded as installation technician I believe!

Yes I think that’s correct but don’t you need your level 2 2365 to be considered for the level 3 2365.

So in theory I believe you’ll need them both.
Very true m8 you cannot gain the level 3 2365 without the level 2 qualification first, if you could jump straight into the level 3 then everyone would of done it as it would be cheaper and a year less at college.
Agree with massive 1 on his first post im sure these courses are made up and to the OP always remember your qualifications mean nothing if you have no experience to put them into practice. It is a long route to becoming a JIB Gold card holder and there will be requirements you need to achieve before progressing onto the next level for example you will not even be considered for an NVQ level 3 without the previous level 2 and 3 diplomas and the same will apply for the AM2 examination as well.

Reply to Path from Domestic Installer to JIB. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock