Discuss Patio Lights Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ish

-
Reaction score
Hi All, my name is Ish and this is my first post on this forum.
I've read some posts on here before and it has been very helpful.
Here is my question.
I told my builder that I would like patio lights in the rise of the patio steps.
He has done the first fix electrics for these lights by cutting out a 22mm hole for the lights and feeding through 4mm flex cables out of the holes... the flex cable is connected to a light switch.
Most of the patio lights for sale have their own cables with a transformer at the beginning of the cable.
Just wondered what would be the best way to add lights using the configuration?

Not totally clear how this is wired, but sounds like you have one cable from a switch somewhere, which runs to the first light position, then on to the next position, and so on?

In which case you either have to fit 230V lights, or run them all off one transformer/driver. How many lights will there be?

Not totally clear how this is wired, but sounds like you have one cable from a switch somewhere, which runs to the first light position, then on to the next position, and so on?

In which case you either have to fit 230V lights, or run them all off one transformer/driver. How many lights will there be?

Yes exactly that. There is a spur to the next light.
In total there are around 18 lights.
Was hoping to use something like this
Ikon Pro 25mm 10 Light Deck Kit from lovelights.co.uk - https://www.lovelights.co.uk/garden-outdoor-lighting-c19/saxby-lighting-ikon-pro-25mm-10-light-kit-p30685

bypassing the supplied cable with the existing cable laid by the builder.
Will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

@ish, The info in the link says: "Designed to be fitted and wired during the decking build stage without the heads. The supplied rubber caps protect the fitting from the elements until the decking is complete."

Since you have a different cable, you are going to have to make weatherproof joints at each light fitting instead. Often the holes behind/below such lights will fill up with mud, insects & other debris. I've repaired a few that have become complete ant's nests or wormeries. Simple chock blocks Wago or similar connectors are not going to last.

Somebody mentioned about 4mm cable size, I assume this is not 4mm2 cross section area. Builders typically do only carry one size of cable for almost everything, and it is thick, but usually it is 2.5mm2 T&E.

Reply to Patio Lights Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock