Discuss PC power supply, Please Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Don't most onboard PSU's also have their own fuses as well?

Yep, most of them are not considered user replaceable and are soldered onto the PCB of the PSU.

OP needs to replace the PSU by the sounds of it.. plus you really wouldn't want to keep trying to replace fuses and trying it, if faulty it could damage the rest of the system if it hasn't already done so.

I have never replaced the fuse or cable, the cable came with the PSU and it's fitted with a 13A fuse. I plug this into a surge protected power strip which makes a pop when I flick the switch. The label on the power supply says

Input Current 10A – 5A

Does that mean the 13A fuse is causing the problem? I don't think it's a faulty PSU as this is the second time, this PSU is a brand new replacement

Sounds like he already has replaced PSU.

I think I misread that, thanks.

I'd change the lead, sounds like it could be a break in an old cable causing the fuse to operate.

13A is normal for a PC plug top fuse, some PC's can pull over 1500W which sits it between 3A and 13A fuse types.

As 3A would be too low, 13A is used.

I think I misread that, thanks.

I'd change the lead, sounds like it could be a break in an old cable causing the fuse to operate.

13A is normal for a PC plug top fuse, some PC's can pull over 1500W which sits it between 3A and 13A fuse types.

As 3A would be too low, 13A is used.

Can a 5A or 10A fused be used? I don't think it's the cable getting old as this was replaced when the PSU got replaced. Could it be my surge protected power strip? Is it OK to plug a 13A plug into a power strip? When I flick the switch on the power strip, nothing else is turned on as I always turn my PC on first then my monitor

possible surge problem. try plugging in with PC and monitor off. then switch pc on, then monitor, so that the plug fuse is not seeing the full inrush current of both at same time.

power strip? like this?
PC power supply, Please Help {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Never tried as my wall socket is hard to get to so I use a power strip
We're trying to help you by process of elimination. Take the "power strip" out of the equation and see what happens. Also forget about 5A and 10A fuses, this is a red herring (and outside of the scope of ISITEE, which only recognises 3A and 13A fuses). Plug it into any other 13A wall socket!

Can a 5A or 10A fused be used? I don't think it's the cable getting old as this was replaced when the PSU got replaced. Could it be my surge protected power strip? Is it OK to plug a 13A plug into a power strip? When I flick the switch on the power strip, nothing else is turned on as I always turn my PC on first then my monitor

The fuse size wont cause the issue you're having, be it 5, 10 or 13Amp you'll get the same result with all of them.

Something is causing the fuse to blow, if it's blowing instantly then its pulling somewhere around 40-60Amps or more of fault current at a rough guess, so to me (and I'm by no means an expert, so take this as you will) it sounds like you have a short somewhere.

We're trying to help you by process of elimination. Take the "power strip" out of the equation and see what happens. Also forget about 5A and 10A fuses, this is a red herring (and outside of the scope of ISITEE, which only recognises 3A and 13A fuses). Plug it into any other 13A wall socket!

i dont have a PSU atm as its completely dead, i'll try tomorrow when i get a replacement.

Use whatever you like but a 13A is fine. You seem to be getting hung up on fuse sizes.

Only 2 sizes are needed. 3 and 13.

If a 13 is popping even after changing the cord it’s time for a new one of whatever is on the end of it. PC, PSU or a banana bending machine.

i dont have a PSU atm as its completely dead, i'll try tomorrow when i get a replacement.

If its possible to safely power up the PSU before you put it in the computer , I would do that at the very least...If this one then pops, you know the problem is further back, possibly in the extension lead..

If its fine out of the PC, fit it back in and try again...

Expensive way to fault things though!

Reply to PC power supply, Please Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock