Discuss peak real-world output of Power One Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-UK in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sunshine777

My PV system (4kWp of panels with a Power One Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-UK inverter) seems to regularly peak at 3608-3610 W. In reading the literature on the inverter I was expecting to see a peak output of 16A which is 3680 watts at 230 volts or 3840 watts at 240 volts. Grid voltage as seen by the inverter is typically 238-242 volts when the system is in full flow. I know the inverter has 3600 in its model name but I’m curious why the output doesn’t match the literature. Any insights appreciated.

Here's a graph of today's out - note the definite flattening at 3600

solar output.jpg

My PV system (4kWp of panels with a Power One Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-UK inverter) seems to regularly peak at 3608-3610 W. In reading the literature on the inverter I was expecting to see a peak output of 16A which is 3680 watts at 230 volts or 3840 watts at 240 volts. Grid voltage as seen by the inverter is typically 238-242 volts when the system is in full flow. I know the inverter has 3600 in its model name but I’m curious why the output doesn’t match the literature. Any insights appreciated.

Probably something to do with the 'tolerances' of the inverter.

I take it that you are in the UK and have a nice high south facing steep pitch roof? If so how about giving it a few months until there is a bit more sun :) I have seen the PVI 3.6 OUTD UK peak at 4015w before on a 3920w system so I wouldn't worry too much!

I am indeed: Hampshire, 40 deg roof, 10 degrees east of due south.

Happy to wait a bit but the consistent peak value did make me think there was a ceiling somewhere. I've now gone back and looked at the inverter log files and the DC peak wattage from the panels appears to be roughly 3700 watts so perhaps it all makes sense for the time of year.

Hi We have a PVI 3.6 (16amp limited) and are also peaking at 3681W. I am waiting for a response from Power One as I agree that 16A at 240V is 3840W.

Regards

In my case when the inverter is outputting 3600 watts the grid voltage it reports is typically 240-243V. On average when the inverter is outputting more than 200 watts the voltage is over 240. At start-up and shut-down the voltage is nearer 235.

Hi

I have a comprehensive reply from Power One.

It appears the answer lies in the tightening of G83 regulation/interpretation - which is that 16 Amps is assumed at a nominal 230 Volts ac. This corresponds to 3.68 Killowatts (kW) on a single-phase supply.
Nominal voltage as stipulated by BS EN 50160 and the Electricity Supply Quality and Continuity Regulations (ESQCR).

So whilst I'm not very happy at this top end limitation; at most it probably means a reduction of 100kwh per annum which at 43p is £43.

I'm interested to know what will happen if all the non 16A limited systems are deemed in breach of regulation eg SMA.

I find this limitation rather frustrating - Power One appears to have changed the specification of the inverter without telling anyone and it seems they can't be *rsed to update their literature even well after the fact.

So my installers have just put in a Power One Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-UK on a 3.91kWp system. Does the G83 certificate and 16A Max output restriction that I see on the nameplate mean that I will lose the extra power at the top end on a sunny day? I thought it was curious when I saw a flat profile one sunny day recently. Should I ask them to fit the 4200?

Reply to peak real-world output of Power One Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-UK in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net