Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then follow this link https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/ The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Pedestal Fan - bypass speed control unit - Direct connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. ggl

ggl New EF Member

Hi,

The speed controller on my pedestal fan is broken and I thought of bypassing it by connecting the power supply directly to the fan motor. When I opened casing, I found two wires (Blue and Brown) coming in from the plugs end and four wires (Red, Black, Blue and White) coming from the motor.

The Blue wire from the socket side and Red wire from the motor side have been connected and put into a plastic cap/case. This leaves just the Brown wire coming from the plug and three wires (Black, Blue and White) coming from the motor. How do I connect the wires so as to connect them directly without the need of a speed control knob.

Thanks

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Theoretically yes you can connect it direct. The three wires dictate the motor speed via the speed select switch, slow, medium and fast. Personally I would not advise this as a new fan will be a small outlay, having said that they are probably difficult to come by at the moment.

3. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Any chance of pics of the speed controller and it's wiring?
    How about replacing the speed controller? Then you can still have the different speeds.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Buy a new fan , and don't be such a tight wad.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Try and buy a desk or pedestal fan at the moment nigh on impossible.

6. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

I looked online for the dyson fans. No blade, big gaping hole.

Then I looked at the price.

Tell you what, I’ll just sit and overheat a little more.