Discuss Periodic / EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Npt88

Im recently starting out and not yet joined one of the 'scams'. But Iv just had a phone call from a commercial place asking me to do a 5 yearly. Can I do this just on some model forms? And how do I go about getting them countersigned?
Thanks
Ps. I have 2391 etc

You don't have to be a member of a scheme to conduct inspections (even for domestic installations), although in some cases institutions will refuse to accept reports from someone who is not a member of a scheme.
As a sole trader, you would not bother with getting the form countersigned.
That space is there for companies where there might be a chief tester or QS who checks and signs off other tester's work.

^^^ As Spin says, unless you are an NICEIC Approved contractor then you are the Inspector and Qualified Supervisor all in one if a Sole Trader. If you are using software for your certs then just choose the option for single signatory else sign both.

Cheers guys.
Now I know at my old place we used to charge per circuit but we did a lot of testing. Is this the norm? Or day rates?

you have to take each one on its merits. some will be OK at ÂŁXX per circuit, and some based as hourly rate. i would have a brief look at each job and then decide which way is better for you.

I'm off to meet the blone next Friday and going to have a walk around with him. Il have a count up of circuits and go from there

have a look round at the rest of the installation. if it's a mare, quote hourly rate.

Yeh. Cheers for the advice. The building was only built 5 years ago. So I'm hoping the install will be pretty good condition and labelled up etc.

Been to look at it, Total of 92 Single phase circuits and 7 Three phase. Looks pretty good condition from the outset.
Also asked about an Em lighting duration test and a 100% fire alarm annual service.
Thinking pricing the testing per circuit and no idea how to on the em lighting and fire alarms. Hourly rate? I know fire alarm firm charge a small fortune for there services!

Bugger! For some reason i never thought to count up! im gunna estimate about 50. Maybes charge for the equivilent of 4 or 5 hours work.
Create them a proper log book and instruct them in how to do a monthly functional test.

Are they not also supposed to check each detector once a year?
I seem to remember something about dividing the number of detectors by 12 and testing a different 12th each month at the same time as doing the monthly light test.

As far as im aware each detector is meant to be checked yearly whether thats done 12th a month or 50% 6 monthly, just as long as each is checked. In the past iv done 50% each 6 months and all batt tests etc.
But iv always done this for a firm with bafe registration and using their forms, Not sure if i need this as im now self employed.
Half tempted to pass the fire alarm on to others but on the other hand it could be a nice earner and iv got access to all the required test kit

For EM lights I would check each charge light, emergency on light and Lux output. See BS EN 5266. The installation will govern the time that the emergency lights have to be illuminated.

Needs to be done when its dark !

Monthly checks can be left to the caretaker/maintenance team

Reply to Periodic / EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net