Discuss Periodic fault codes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jel

Hi guys,

Was wondering what code you would put down on a periodic inspection report, for a consumer unit without any RCD protection?

code 4. not compliant with current regs.

Hi guys,

Was wondering what code you would put down on a periodic inspection report, for a consumer unit without any RCD protection?

Code 4 Does not comply with the current issue
of BS 7671.

What is it supplying? There is no requirement for a 'consumer unit' to have RCD protection, it's done on a circuit by circuit basis depending on many variables.

Read this: http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG4_08.pdf

Totally agree what a lot of tosh telling the customer the obvious and when he asks do I have to change it I always say no if you board meets the current regs then its ok because this is just a recommendation and if this is the case then we should not be putting it on the forms it only confuses the issue

Totally agree what a lot of tosh telling the customer the obvious and when he asks do I have to change it I always say no if you board meets the current regs then its ok because this is just a recommendation and if this is the case then we should not be putting it on the forms it only confuses the issue

Ha, do you know how many PIR's I see with 'no RCD protection to distribution board'?

Sort of sets the scene for the quality of the rest of the report, normally utter rubbish...

What does concern me is the number of sparkies who put no RCD down as a code 2 or even worse, a code 1

Madness.

That's another report quality clue!

This 'competency to test' is a rare animal!

Yes i would only code 4 where there was an Absence of fault protection by RCD where required, and must admit i assumed the OP was referring to such a situation, breaking the number one rule assume nothing!

I would say it depends on the reason for the PIR, for example.

If its "To assess the condition of the installation in relation to current standards" The i would give it a code 4.

If its "To assess the condition of the installation to ensure it is in a safe condition for continued use" Then no code at all.

It is down to the Test and Inspection Electrician to use his judgement and code according to the purpose of the T&I.

Cheers..........Howard

Hi guys,

say the codes out loud then apply common sense then u'll see what code it is (unless its on a TT), i would recommend a RCD to all customers and anyway as soon as they want that extra kitch socket they have to have one
ESC guide is very good

If the installation is TT then I would go for Code 1 or no code at all depending on the Ra of the earth electrode.
Any other type of system, then no code at all, as there is no requirement for the CU to have RCD protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering, as i have no experience of these 17th BS 7671 PIR inspection reports, but isn't there any official in-depth guidance on these code allocations?? As i see, on a daily basis, many queries on what code to allocate in this and that situation...

Just wondering, as i have no experience of these 17th BS 7671 PIR inspection reports, but isn't there any official in-depth guidance on these code allocations?? As i see, on a daily basis, many queries on what code to allocate in this and that situation...
Yes, code 1 is for immediate danger, code 2 is for a situation which may become dangerous if left, code 3 requires further investigation and code 4 does not comply with the current edition of BS7671, but in itself is not necessarily unsafe.

Yes, code 1 is for immediate danger, code 2 is for a situation which may become dangerous if left, code 3 requires further investigation and code 4 does not comply with the current edition of BS7671, but in itself is not necessarily unsafe.

And i take it, those official code designations are then left to the electrician for interpretation??

So what about not-so-official guidance, those that will give multiple examples of code designations??

As i see it, without any real testing experience, i can see where some new electricians could quite easily be confused, and to play on the safe side and give unrealistic code allocations...

And i take it, those official code designations are then left to the electrician for interpretation??

So what about not-so-official guidance, those that will give multiple examples of code designations??

As i see it, without any real testing experience, i can see where some new electricians could quite easily be confused, and to play on the safe side and give unrealistic code allocations...

And that's where competence comes into play.

How can you provide a code for every scenario, supply type and circumstance that crops up from installation to installation?

Each code allocation is a risk assessment carried out by the competent inspector using all of the information at his/her disposal.

A defect in a factory will have a totally different risk element than the same defect in a primary school.

That is why an above-average knowledge of BS7671:2008 and the type of installation being inspected is so important to attempt to eradicate the rubbish that I get to read week in and week out, masquerading as a periodic inspection report.

Reply to Periodic fault codes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock