Discuss Periodic inspection as was in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

AdieB

-
Reaction score
I have been asked to go to a site where a periodic inspection was carried out in 2013. There were some 1,2,& 3's on the form which was not corrected at the time. The electrician his no longer about. The local authority has asked the owner why the items were not addressed and wants them corrected. The property is a pub. My question is if I sort out the remedial work what form do I fill out ? minor works or do I have to do a full EICR. The builder says that the council just wants proof of the remedial work ha been carried out. Any one else have this I the past?

AdieB

wot he said in ditto/

There are 39 items split across three DB's and general. So is that one Minor works for each DB and one for General items. Please don't say one minor works for each item.
AdeB

As you sort of said, in 2013 there would (or should) have been an "EICR".

After the remedial work, you issue either Minor works or EIC, as appropriate - more likely it will be minor works, but there could be stuff that demands an EIC, for example if you have to put a new circuit in to correct something.

Sometimes after doing such remedial work, the customer also asks to have an updated EICR, to show there are now no C1 or C2 codes, but I would be wary of updating some previous EICR that you might not be able to fully trust the results!

Update: an entry on a minor works is per circuit, some certificates let you put up to 3 circuits on one minor works certificate. So how many circuits these 39 items are split across might determine how many forms you need.

some of the items are listed below so till on minor work for each?

No local fan isolation for toilets code 2 screws missing from grid plate code 2
JB has exposed cables hanging out code 1 No grommit fitted in switch box code 2
cables to be supported in basement code 2 Missing flap on DB code 2
No e/m lighting test key fitted ground floor lights code 1

AdieB

some of the items are listed below so till on minor work for each?

No local fan isolation for toilets code 2 - C3 at best
screws missing from grid plate code 2 - hardly warrants a MWC
JB has exposed cables hanging out code 1 - exposed copper or inner sheath?
No grommit fitted in switch box code 2 -HUM
cables to be supported in basement code 2 - OK
Missing flap on DB code 2 - C1 possibly if copper could be touched!
No e/m lighting test key fitted ground floor lights code 1 - C3 maybe

AdieB

My thoughts in bold above.

Code 1 items are things you really can't walk away and leave - such as exposed live conductors.
Just possibly the original EICR has not been coded too well!

Jb I think has the cores showing no copper exposed. missing flap on D is the clear flap that cover the MCB's no exposure to live parts.

Write a list of the coded items, note down beside each one the needed action, where the report has incompetent coding, such as those you have mentioned, reclassify the code appropriately and specify the work required.
Once the work is complete then you can specify in the appropriate EIC or MWC item numbers xyz have been incorrectly coded and no remedial work is required.
Items abc have been rectified.

as above. read murdoch's take on those faults you listed. most are C3s at worst.

Has anyone died in this pub in the last 30 years from electric shock? Code 3 the Fusking lot,Electrical Condition Reports on Pubs are a PITA,do your job to the best of your ability,don't pull on petty things like no local isolation,means peed up people can access switches etc.Use common sense and think of how to make things safer,simple really.

To what regs was this installation originally done to?

BS7671 isn’t retrospective so what isn’t acceptable now, was when installed.

Reply to Periodic inspection as was in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock