Discuss periodic inspection prices in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

£35 per circuit, don't work for pennies, if you are competent and have a good working knowledge of BS7671, then charge for it.

Spoke to a landlord by me today as my buddy has just rented a house of him and he pays £35 per property for PIR's.
To which I answered "Good luck with that"

Spoke to a landlord by me today as my buddy has just rented a house of him and he pays £35 per property for PIR's.
To which I answered "Good luck with that"

Good on you to walk away did he say that they can be done over the phone as well.

IMO the PIR will not be done at all. Interested to see one of his PIR reports.

£35 per circuit, don't work for pennies, if you are competent and have a good working knowledge of BS7671, then charge for it.
Mitie Epsilon ect ect are charging around£10>£15 a circuit from what I gather if its a factory , large contract guys doing 30 circuits for 8hr shift ( this may sound excessive but bearing in mind a lot of circuits are right next to DB and even just a Zs counts as tested circuit high lights given IR (L.E N>E only) counts as test If a circuit isnt located with in 20mins Leave it off and advise client to notify you if any equipment doesnt apear to be working at end of shift turn it back on Id probably go at£25 for a one off factory with a survey n

Don't get hung up on the less than £10 per circuit mob!
Generally, the big companies looking for high volume works are in that region but they need the volume to make it pay. This means that they often aren't interested in the small business or the domestic market - a PIR in a maintained office block is much quicker to test per circuit than a privately owned shop/domestic. Sure you can test 30 circuits in a day fed from 1 board in an office wing, but to do more than two houses (14ccts?) may be nigh impossible!

Same as anything, price the job to make a days pay!

well ive been offered a job fixed wire testing for six months at a price of 4.60 a circuit, I should tell them where to stick their tester then? They maintain that their other subbies get in the region of 40 50 circuits done in a day, however they didnt mention a timeframe, so it could be 12-14 hour shifts, its testing government buildings, offices and the likes, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Guys
There are companies on the net advertising £8 a circuit for a periodic inspection report

yep and sending in a 20 year old who flies round with a loop test getting the easiest reading he can,limiting anything he cant reach calculating anything he cant be bothered to test, as long as theres something in the applicable box

i take it im completely mad at 4.60 a circuit then gents! New to subcontractin altho quite alot of experience testing, cant honestly see more than 25 circuits being tested properly a day from my own experience

Remember years ago these 2 guys used to turn up fill out loads of test results, basically make them up, then label the sockets, lights or whatever it was that was on a small diagram that they were supposed to being testing then go home. Took them about 3 hours in total.

It was £8 for a single phase circuit and £24 for a 3 phase. They were doing a good 40 tests sitting down lol.

That must of been 11 years ago roughly, quite funny when I look back.

Adslev - underselling yourself mate! Hope you're charging then three times that for three phase!

Will admit I don't know the market rates for 'independent' electricians, but would imagine the norm would be £9-£15 per circuit?

I hope you don't forget to charge for mains incomer and earth bond tests as well! - arguably circuits!

There is one thing that we should bear in mind here which I don't think is clear.
There is a big difference between the price a self-employed spark should look for compared to the price that a salaried spark expected to test 150 ccts a week would work out he is being paid!

why not just look at the unit and charge a period of time. Most commercial periodics come in around 2 days @ £400. If i dont get it done i dont put it on the report as an area i have inspected (unless the customer wants to pay more).

What i dont get is if you charge per circuit, what happens if you have 4 cables stuffed into an mcb? Is that still one circuit?

Large commercial in a well maintained office block is easier than a wee corner shop or any retail im testing large chain hotel right now Boiler room has 20 ccts in it all Radials All 2 items and trunking half days work including tes break Rooms in the hotel are done easily as there is ussualy noone there to hold you back
other ones recently are warehouse with 50 circuits 10 of whitch were located next to DB Alarms heater controls ect Domestic and smaller commercial these would be spread about and hence I recon my gaffers estimation of 3 to 4 ccts PH isnt far off the mark

Reply to periodic inspection prices in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock