Discuss periodic, inspection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
have problems with a periodic exam question which carry's 15 marks , they change the questions but the format is the same
graphic was circuit cable coming in conduit to box, connection to L1 l2 l3 cpc
to cable in conduit from motor
question was connection 3 phase motor List five things to be inspected and list sense

I put (isolator which was wrong as it was a just a connection ) scored 40% of 15 marks

Line conductors ~phase sequence is correct ~ sight

Cable termination~ cable are correctly terminated not loose to cause arching ~touch

Cable entry ~ suitable glands /bushes used ~sight

Cable sizes ~cable are correct rating for equipment ~ sight

Accessories isolator~ enclosure is correct ip and fire rating~ sight

thx

I might be tempted to tweak the termination item and split it up a bit more.

Think about the things you might check on an individual cable termination? And even the cable itself on it's way to it's termination.

Cables getting hot FEEL
connections not arcing SMELL
conduit fixing OK FEEL
Yes thats what I put to me they were all visual which what periodic is about
Actually the question says "list the senses" I can think of at least 1 smell, 2 feel

I might be tempted to tweak the termination item and split it up a bit more.

Think about the things you might check on an individual cable termination? And even the cable itself on it's way to it's termination.

thx
As they are single core cables and they are terminated into a block according to the graphic its hard to expand I could put

Cables ~terminated without strain ~sight
conductors ~ connections of live conductors adequately enclosed~sight
Enclosures ~ securely fixed~sight
Enclosures~ terminals provide suitable protection against mechanical damage~sight

I could go on my answers were not far out, to only score 8 out 15?
how do pass this exam not sure what answers they looking for

thx

For the cables, you could go:-

Cable termination - No excessive bare conductor - Sight
Cable termination - Securely terminated (not loose) - Touch
Cable - Basic insulation undamaged - Sight
Cable - Not under undue strain - Sight

Did mine a few months ago, we were told to look for things like -

Conduit - securely fixed - sight/touch
Conduit - damaged/corroded - sight
Conduit - suitable for purpose - sight
Conduit - incomplete/missing lids - sight

Coupler/Bush - secure - sight

Terminations - secure - sight/touch

Did mine a few months ago, we were told to look for things like -

Conduit - securely fixed - sight/touch
Conduit - damaged/corroded - sight
Conduit - suitable for purpose - sight
Conduit - incomplete/missing lids - sight

Coupler/Bush - secure - sight

Terminations - secure - sight/touch

Jamie did you do the online version or written

Reply to periodic, inspection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net