Discuss Periodic inspection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hsharp

I am just learning: If I where to install just radial circuit for example or a fused spur socket, would I have to do a full periodic inspection of the house installation?

I am just learning: If I where to install just radial circuit for example or a fused spur socket, would I have to do a full periodic inspection of the house installation?

You could do, but you'd go out of business pretty quickly. :)
Check Main Earth and Main Bonding Conductors are present and correct, do job and issue a MWC.

It say in GN3 page 60 "after alteration or additions to the original installation"
So Archy Styrigg could be lible if any thing went wrong with his installations.
Am I be correct?

It would depend on the age of the installation and what you see on the "visit". If its obviously old you may decline to quote until you have done a EICR. Obviously for a new radial you'd use an EIC for the new circuit and I always insert "used" against all the existing circuits. Then you'd need to notify LABC

It say in GN3 page 60 "after alteration or additions to the original installation"
Am I be correct?

Not in mine it doesn't. Where did you get your GN3 from.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 33
Am I be correct?

Sorry, are you saying GN3, P60 says "Complete and issue an EICR after adding a spur to an existing circuit" - or words to that effect?

What, exactly is it you're quoting? There will be a reg number against whichever entry you're reading.

I certainly hope it doesn't say that ANYWHERE, because it would mean many thousand copies of GN3 have been wrongly printed and published, and many hundred of electricians have gotten things badly wrong too.

As an aside - whatever testing you do, or don't do, you can be held liable after carrying out work on an existing installation. The point of doing the testing (correctly) is to ensure that your liability is mitigated as far as possible. E.g. that there is minimal risk to your customer of causing them harm by electrocution, or other faulty workmanship or material.

This, for one key reason, is why I said - Do not install spurs (or other electrical equipment) until you have read and understood what is required.

I hate to say it.....but clearly, once again, you have guessed, and tried to quote something you don't understand, rather than simply owning up and saying you don't know. You'd find more help with honesty.

Reply to Periodic inspection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net