Discuss Periodic Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DuaneMHunt1976

I was asked today if i would do the testing for someone (ie no qualifications did the work off their own skills) CU Change, adding a few sockets and Lights fixed (before i get any more questions on that, thats all i know)

I said there was 3rd Party but not many people do that and seem unwilling to do that, to which i was told cant you just do a Periodic testing on it (thinking if i did that i would have to do every thing to make sure it dose work and still dose)

'I did think i wasnt alowed to do that!' EiCR on some thing that was done by someone else like that!

Pointed out that i wasnt that sure on the legal stance on that, to which i was told "your unwilling to do that!"

So can you do a EICR after such a thing!

You can do an EICR but that is not an EIC and you are not signing off for the design and construction and you cannot use it to Part P certify unless your scheme has a process to allow it. There are schemes that allow third party testing and certification of Part P work but most people want to be involved in the process and see the work in progress to make sure it is getting done properly. He may be able to use an EICR to get Part P approval but he would need to contact Building Control and tell them a sob story and they may accept it. Otherwise he needs to find someone who will do third party certification after the work has been done.

Personally I would keep clear unless I could just do a EICR and nothing else and I would probably want to quote a bit more than normal just in case he has made a mess. The problem comes if you find a fault and he then wants you to repeat the EICR to get a satisfactory report.

You could offer to help the person do their own I&T, then they could sort out the notification themselves.
Not ideal, but then it's not really your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would keep clear unless I could just do a EICR and nothing else and I would probably want to quote a bit more than normal just in case he has made a mess. The problem comes if you find a fault and he then wants you to repeat the EICR to get a satisfactory report.

I get a bit lost here, he wants to change the CU. So if he changes it and i do a EICR, and pass it, is every thing OK with the WORLD!
That seems to me just what the 3rd Party Testing would do, but they would do a EIC.

I was asked today if i would do the testing for someone (ie no qualifications did the work off their own skills) CU Change, adding a few sockets and Lights fixed (before i get any more questions on that, thats all i know)

I said there was 3rd Party but not many people do that and seem unwilling to do that, to which i was told cant you just do a Periodic testing on it (thinking if i did that i would have to do every thing to make sure it dose work and still dose)

'I did think i wasnt alowed to do that!' EiCR on some thing that was done by someone else like that!

Pointed out that i wasnt that sure on the legal stance on that, to which i was told "your unwilling to do that!"

So can you do a EICR after such a thing!
Obviously you said no?

Think you are going to have to ask a lot more questions and seriously think about how much you get involved before you risk your own reputation and status doing a friend a favour?

Its one thing a mate asking you to give advice and/or an opinion to getting you to take responsibility for him doing something wrong?

Barrie

Right .. i am now getting lost..

I said NO by the way.
I dont KNOW THE GUY, ie i know him as much as i know any one on this site.

What i asked "So can you do a EICR after such a thing!"
What to me ****es at the 3rd Party and any one can do jobs themselfs get someone to do EICR and might have to do that twice.

Why would somebody trying to earn a living as a spark agree to test a DIY CU change. The mind boggles.

Why do they want up you involved? Do they expect you to notify the work as yours?

Right .. i am now getting lost..

I said NO by the way.
I dont KNOW THE GUY, ie i know him as much as i know any one on this site.

What i asked "So can you do a EICR after such a thing!"
What to me ****es at the 3rd Party and any one can do jobs themselfs get someone to do EICR and might have to do that twice.

Maybe I'm being thick but can you translate that last line for an 'oldun ?

Edit Sorry,just seen the dyslexic disclaimer!....a re-phrase would be nice though!

Last edited by a moderator:
To my mind, the only way 3rd party certification can work, is if the 3rd party attends site during construction.
I don't see how else verification of cable depths, prescribed routes, etc. can be made?
The only other option would be to conduct a PIR.

Why would somebody trying to earn a living as a spark agree to test a DIY CU change. The mind boggles.

Why do they want up you involved? Do they expect you to notify the work as yours?

Why dose the world turn?

Ok Well thats what the 3rd PARTY thing dose .. lets DIY change things like CU and then have someone else TEST them.
What the Goverment wanted. I am not here to debate such a thing.

Why me? i guess because I've passed my testing qualifications, and guessed they think i MIGHT be able to do that 3rd Party Stuff and then they can have someone sign it off..

Notify? well i guess they did as they expect me to do a EICR.

Maybe I'm being thick but can you translate that last line for an 'oldun ?

Edit Sorry,just seen the dyslexic disclaimer!....a re-phrase would be nice though!

Basically if a Electrician can just do a EICR, for a DIY doing their own work.
Dosnt that make all this 3rd Party Stuff usless and not even worth talking about.

Why dose the world turn?

Ok Well thats what the 3rd PARTY thing dose .. lets DIY change things like CU and then have someone else TEST them.
What the Goverment wanted. I am not here to debate such a thing.

Why me? i guess because I've passed my testing qualifications, and guessed they think i MIGHT be able to do that 3rd Party Stuff and then they can have someone sign it off..

Notify? well i guess they did as they expect me to do a EICR.

If its an older installation I would ask him when he's planning to do the job and switch you phone off on the day - a CU change, no testing, adding RCD's, IR issues, borrowed neutrals....

Best keep well out of it.

On the rare occasions I'm asked to do this, I simply say I do the work completely or I don't do it at all!

To my mind, the only way 3rd party certification can work, is if the 3rd party attends site during construction.
I don't see how else verification of cable depths, prescribed routes, etc. can be made?
The only other option would be to conduct a PIR.

Lets think of the 3rd Party in Par with the Locale Council, I am guessing they will have to be told, and i am guess they Wont come out and watch you do all of it, just come out before you put in the cables, talk to you were you are putting them in and depths etc, and then come back out when you are done and test the job.

But what i am asking, as he asked me to do, is a EICR Peroidic report.

BS 7161 does allow for the design, construction and testing of an installation to be carried out by separate individuals.
It even allows for people who are not actually involved in the design, construction and testing to sign off an EIC.
However those kind of situations are usually found on larger construction sites and with larger electrical companies, where there will be someone in overall command of the project.
To have a situation where a complete stranger turns up at an installation with no knowledge of the design, construction methods, or even the materials used, to issue an EIC, is to my mind a farce.

Reply to Periodic Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock