• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Pet Hates ( Excluding Customers) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
as title. let's have some of you pet hates with the trade.
I'll start off with a couple:

1. Captive screws that fall out and get lost when nothing in your parts stock will do.
2. terminal screws that you can't see the head and need to tighten by feel ( many ceiling roses are this).

1. Accessories faceplates, where the terminals are at different angles or positions, aka 45 amp pull cords
2. 45 amp pull cords
3. Cable reelers that don't stop the cable wrapping round the spindle, especially when you've just climbed into the loft
4. Lofts
5. Consumer Units without RCD's, especially when I'm having to refurb' the bathroom or whatever
6. Taking the lid off a CU, to see if you can fit an RCBO, to be presented with a birds nest of wires and no room to swing a cat
7. I've got some others.....

laminate flooring
itchy-poo
shoddy work
plumbers
din rail with no clearance behind for cables ( e.g. easy 9 CU )

as title. let's have some of you pet hates with the trade.
I'll start off with a couple:

1. Captive screws that fall out and get lost when nothing in your parts stock will do.
2. terminal screws that you can't see the head and need to tighten by feel ( many ceiling roses are this).
Are you having one of those days Tel? :D

1. Missing parts from new accessories
2. Instructions that don't make sense
3. Poor quality flat pack furniture
4. People who "know it all" but know nothing.

People who say "No you can't switch the Electric off" and then complain when you give them the bill or overtime sheet, when you needed to work out of hours, because of their pi ignorance.

Bosses
Their Bosses
Any trades that put wall covering up before you have installed your cable, and when yo have a go, all they can sa y is "got a job to do mate"

I have a brand new pet hate, not an electrical pet hate mind you, but a pet hate never the less. Having a Biopsy on the prostate whilst you are still awake, now that is seriously not nice, makes your eyes water I can tel you.

I have a brand new pet hate, not an electrical pet hate mind you, but a pet hate never the less. Having a Biopsy on the prostate whilst you are still awake, now that is seriously not nice, makes your eyes water I can tel you.
too much information.

Cables inside accessories so short you can barely pull them away from the wall
Kitchen fitters
Plasterers
Tilers
Plumbers
Light fittings with no room to terminate properly
People bending my ear thinking they know what they're talking about - see kitchen fitters

Plasterers most definitely. End of!

Crammed rats nests of boards where only the browns are in the correct place whilst carrying out an EICR, and what should take 10 minutes now takes 30.

Dirty houses.

Customers who do not move anything even though you have requested they do, and then you end up having too.

builders who think they can "do" electrics, then moan when you quote to put it right.

Reply to Pet Hates ( Excluding Customers) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back