Discuss Pet Hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tbs1983

1.Twisted Earths,
2. dodgy threads on metal back boxes,
3. that horrible cellophane and foil inside some brands of FP200,
4. cheap soft brass terminal screws on switches/sockets etc.
5. snapping small terminal screwdrivers cos I'm too lazy to get the bigger one out of my toolbox!

1) drill with dodgy safety clutch= oeoeoeoeoe clatter ...(hits wall)slide...splat...hobble...hobble daaafuuuu kkk ...swing swing swing ...swing...gone.....(tescos carpark 300 yds away)....smash..
2) cheap holesaws that fall apart in 10 seconds...
3)drilling conduit boxes...
4)tools that magically get swapped for broken cheap old crap by someone else at tea time...
5)being on site in winter when someone decides to turn off the generator on their way out, cutting the lights....
6)having to buy a tool needed on the day and getting stung rip off prices for cheap cr@p because nowhere nearby sells decent ones....
7)scaffold getting off hired when I needed to use it....

1. Certain makes of armoured glands where you can't get the back nut on.
2. Cheap metal conduit boxes where it's not a true 90 degree angle.
3. Bushes that snap.
4. Connections in accessories that wont tighten up as soon as you put the end of your cable in.
5. People borrowing your kit then not bringing it back.
6. Multiple earths in one sleeving

1)poor workmanship (which i normally have to fix)
2)laziness (which i normally end up working late for)
3)untidyness (which i normally fall over)
4)and whoever it is that keeps removing schedules from most of the dbs i have to work in

1)lifting carpets
2)lifting floor boards
3)refitting above
4)can i have a discount
5)its only a small job
6)cow boys
7) pozi drivers that snap
8)battery dead on drill
9)torch no battery while under the floor ...................

Screwdriver where mag is not quiet strong enough to hold screw in horizonatal position, but same screwdriver over eager to collect filings from all over the place, really does my head in.
Anybody know how to de-mag a screwdriver

to de mag a screwdriver strike it on a hard metal surface
one of my pet hates is cell phones
but the worst is some theif swapping the battery in your drill for their duff one

police men on bikes
so what if i am eating a sarnie whilst driving i could talk on the phone eat a sandwich and hold coffee cup between my leg and change gear and i still would not be as dangerous as that mini cab driver
bus drivers - yes i know i stopped on a double yellow - you do not have to pull up alongside me and pretend you cant get through - you could get a bus through there mate!

1)poor workmanship (which i normally have to fix)
2)laziness (which i normally end up working late for)
3)untidyness (which i normally fall over)
4)and whoever it is that keeps removing schedules from most of the dbs i have to work in

All of the above...

What is it with schedule one...full distribution panels with no schedule...why has someone removed them and not put them back????...its near on impossible to trace anything in large plants...I can just imagine them hidden under loads of junk in someone's van...really annoys me...

All of the above...

What is it with schedule one...full distribution panels with no schedule...why has someone removed them and not put them back????...its near on impossible to trace anything in large plants...I can just imagine them hidden under loads of junk in someone's van...really annoys me...

I just imagine someone doing it out of spite or using them to do material lists on. its so annoying especially on new jobs where you know it may not have been there from the start which brings me back to points 1 & 2

The wonderful customer supplied lights from various retail outlets that have no space for more than one cable and require you to support them with one hand while trying to connect the cable with the other two. Then you have to try and support the fitting while trying to get those pesky little screws into the mounting bracket. I always end up dropping them and have to do a pull test on my connections while I grovel around on the floor trying to find them. AAAaagggghhhhhhh

wago lighting connectors coming handy with crappish lights... just dump the supplied chocblock.

I must admit to loving Wago connectors (I know I am a pervert:) ). Still have difficult with some where the short length of leads and size of the Wagos makes it difficult to fit everything in the space available and I still have to make a hole in the ceiling to push a Wago box in with the loop through wiring.

That's my other pet hate - cheap crap, that is often very expensive, that has had no thought/design given to installation or maintenance and usually has to be replaced in a couple of years. You can't make money installing it because of the time it takes and you end up replacing many under guarantee.

TWISTED EARTHS! Without a doubt no.1 (especially in a 3phase board)

old slotted screws, especially rusty ones

leaving the lid of your screw box undone when you pick it up

Trying terminate cables into old wylex and similar boards when the earth bar is impossible to reach

drilling out a downlighter hole when the a previous builder has swept all the crap and brick dust under the floorboards above

people always on the ponce for cable, boxes etc

Reply to Pet Hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net