Discuss Pet peeves.......................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No, SWD, I was standing in a wet bathroom that he had just "fitted"...
He "finished" the job by fixing the shower screen to the wall on the thursday before the september bank holiday weekend. Turns out one of his frame screws punctured the cold feed. Downstairs neighbour was on holiday, neighbour downstairs also on holiday, and so my introduction to my new neighbours was on the following tuesday when I called at the flat to find them all in welly boots, wading through the damage...

Such as; ‘heating engineer’
Aka.. plumber

Or any other profession that uses engineer in its title, with the exception of bona fide engineers

There was quite an argument once on this forum as to what constituted being an engineer.

I agree with you though, in nearly ever other country in the world engineer is a protected title, much like being a Dr.

The UK got rid of that ruling a long time ago, a now it seems every tom dick and harry is an engineer.

Saying this, my job title has engineer in it. I've got a few accreditation's in different countries to back it up though haha.

I used to be an Engineer, now I’m an Electrician.
I’m more qualified now than I was when I was an Engineer.
Of course, in America, it’s just a posh name for a train driver.

This is true, from the times of steam engines being introduced.

It's still a job title, but an engineer as we think of has some designation with it. For example indentured, licensed or chartered, I hold the former.

I agree, pretentious job titles make me chuckle, especially the latest fad of technicians :rolleyes:
Vehicle Technician - car mechanic
Sanitary Technician - bog cleaner
Domestic Technician - house cleaner
Blah blah blah...

Apparently it seems like no matter what job you do theses days you are a "technician". -

Technician definition: 1. a worker trained with special skills, especially in science or engineering: 2. a person whose technique is very good

Somebody had the bright idea to take one definition ^^ and milk it. Now everybody has jumped on to the band wagon. :D

Though reading more, it seems that in simple terms, the "technicians" are the doers and the "engineers" are the problem solvers.

I'm changing my job title to "Technical Operations Engineer" :D

So a plumber could be “Technical Operations Engineer: Radiators and Gas”?

Pity the abbreviations spell out TOE-RAG

Just a mo... My “female life partner” would like a “hand held ceramic liquid container” of “high temperature H2O” and “dried plant leaves delivered in a small perforated paper based envelope”
With just a dash of pasteurised bovine lactation.

Terminal or cover fixing screws made of cheese or which don't fit any screwdriver known to man.

Recessed cover fixing screws in which the recess has a ridge at the bottom into which the point of the screw invariably catches, on heatstore bathroom fan heaters the only way to get the screw in is to tape it to the end of the screwdriver.

Customers who come up to me when I'm doing an auto RCD test and say "Is there a problem....?"
"No"
"Well why does it keep tripping then, it didn't before you came?"

People who let their cats on the worktop just after it's shat and paddled around in the litter tray and then ask if I want a sandwich.

I'll think of more later.

I agree, pretentious job titles make me chuckle, especially the latest fad of technicians :rolleyes:
Vehicle Technician - car mechanic
Sanitary Technician - bog cleaner
Domestic Technician - house cleaner
Blah blah blah...

Apparently it seems like no matter what job you do theses days you are a "technician". -

Technician definition: 1. a worker trained with special skills, especially in science or engineering: 2. a person whose technique is very good

Somebody had the bright idea to take one definition ^^ and milk it. Now everybody has jumped on to the band wagon. :D

Though reading more, it seems that in simple terms, the "technicians" are the doers and the "engineers" are the problem solvers.

I'm changing my job title to "Technical Operations Engineer" :D
Not PC now to be referred to as a member of staff! I always chuckle when in the supermarket (doing some domestic engineering) that staff announcements are called colleague announcements.

That’s because “staff” suggests the workers there are on a contract, are on the books and are employed

Most will be part time, cash in hand invisible workers

Reply to Pet peeves.......................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net