Discuss Petition: Make working with electricity a criminal offence unless qualified in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think if wholesalers and diy shops weren't allowed to sell to general public without showing proof you are a qualified spark/signed up to regulating body/jib card this would be first move to stop people putting themselves and there families at risk.

As post 16, the first problem is define qualified in a form easily recognised by Sales assistants.
The next problem would be how to stop fake I.D

As post 16, the first problem is define qualified in a form easily recognised by Sales assistants.
The next problem would be how to stop fake I.D

Of course it wouldnt be easy, but big fines for diy shops selling yo fake id would get them on the ball, spot check on organisation numbers. Think something meeds to be done and i would have thought all qualified sparks would want it. Scary that some whopper could walk into a diy shop buy 5m coil of wire and use it as a cooker cable from outlet because that was cheapest roll. Something needs to be done imho

Before deciding that something 'needs to be done', please can we have some figures? How many people seriously injured or killed by faulty installations where the fault was due to being installed or interfered with by someone who would not at the moment be comitting an offence, but would be under the suggested regulation, and who would be deterred from doing the faulty work by the existence of the regulation? I think you'll find it's quite a different story to gas, but we need the numbers...

For me,with respect to the OP,it's a ridiculous notion. I've followed up a plethora of "Qualified schemed up" sparks,who have made things worse,not better. Gentlemen who have staff,and liveried vehicles,who then tail up a supply for a new bungalow across two phases,and blow a dozen household items...i could wax on a plenty...but what's the point?

We have robust,current and specific laws regarding firearms,drugs and drink-driving...anyone notice a shortage of these?

This,is one of those dreamy notions,that those who consider that they are bone-fide,feel may strengthen their position,when in truth,just ensuring we do our own tasks,competently and professionally,is the best to hope for.

New laws and regulations,are worthless additions,when the current ones are ignored by the "applied-to",and not enforced,by the "appliers".

I would have more respect for our law makers,if i had been actually prosecuted,for the offence i was accused of...i would have worn its' charge like a badge of honour...but they bottled it.

The offence? ..."taking fish,by means of a trick...":hurray:

If something was implemented similar to gas safe for our trade I think it would be a good thing.

I agree that a single scheme would be a much better idea than the current one where there are multiple organisations for electrics. Rightly or wrongly NICEIC are seen by the general public, estates agents, property management companies etc as the leading body. When I first meet up with these type of companies they always ask are you NICEIC registered never any of the other bodies.

I think there are possible misunderstanding about the Gas Safe Register as well that it is some government run scheme? Well it is in some respect but it's actually run on behalf of the government by Capita Plc often called Crapita Plc because of their poor service, they are no different to our schemes they are also in it for the money. I am sure plenty of short course plumbers get registered that that really shouldn't because of lack of experience or being poor at their trade.

I agree with the majority, from what I can see, that it would be impossible to police and preventing wholesalers from selling to Joe Public would be madness and will never happen.

For me,with respect to the OP,it's a ridiculous notion. I've followed up a plethora of "Qualified schemed up" sparks,who have made things worse,not better. Gentlemen who have staff,and liveried vehicles,who then tail up a supply for a new bungalow across two phases,and blow a dozen household items...i could wax on a plenty...but what's the point?

We have robust,current and specific laws regarding firearms,drugs and drink-driving...anyone notice a shortage of these?

This,is one of those dreamy notions,that those who consider that they are bone-fide,feel may strengthen their position,when in truth,just ensuring we do our own tasks,competently and professionally,is the best to hope for.

New laws and regulations,are worthless additions,when the current ones are ignored by the "applied-to",and not enforced,by the "appliers".

I would have more respect for our law makers,if i had been actually prosecuted,for the offence i was accused of...i would have worn its' charge like a badge of honour...but they bottled it.

The offence? ..."taking fish,by means of a trick...":hurray:

Lets agree to Disagree then. Like I commented on my previous post. I've seen it work to a standard much better then I remember in the UK.

Yes but what does that mean, Electrical Trainee are out there, in the eyes of the law they are qualified, I rest my case.!!

The customer is still protected by the law, be it a short course Electrician or a 3 to 4 yrs college/apprenticeship - Yes in general the odds are more against the short course but you cannot paint brush them all, I know a few who I hold many a respect to through determination and their own personal research - we have many full term seasoned sparks in the industry that haven't got a clue!

The customer is still protected by the law, be it a short course Electrician or a 3 to 4 yrs college/apprenticeship - Yes in general the odds are more against the short course but you cannot paint brush them all, I know a few who I hold many a respect to through determination and their own personal research - we have many full term seasoned sparks in the industry that haven't got a clue!
Yes I agree,if you kill or injure somebody no matter if time served or what ever , your arse will be in a sling, the industry has gone down hill over the years, I have seen it with my own eyes, times have changed to, the nonsense of domestic and industrial today to different animals , in my day it was just another electrical job no matter what. Skills have diminished very sad state of affairs IMO.

Yes I agree,if you kill or injure somebody no matter if time served or what ever , your arse will be in a sling, the industry has gone down hill over the years, I have seen it with my own eyes, times have changed to, the nonsense of domestic and industrial today to different animals , in my day it was just another electrical job no matter what. Skills have diminished very sad state of affairs IMO.

I'm 43 and seen the same, you can now even get through a full apprenticeship without what I would call basic Maths and Physics knowledge which was a requirement in my days, this was comfirmed when a latter year apprentice didn't know 3 x 8, and this was 1998, the training industry has become profit biased at the cost of standards while governments lowered them to meet a political agenda.

Yes I may be ignoring technology here where you can look up any query withing minutes but what gives an impression to any customer is a answer on the dot without saying sorry give me a few minutes while I google it!

Last edited:
I'm the OP, I should make it clear that that's not my petition, that's THE petition on this matter that someone else started. I am just an apprentice electrician who is too busy studying and has time for nothing else. :)

I am only asking, and the responses on this thread are showing me that there is a problem, and that there are possible solutions. Does anyone know how it works in countries like Germany, Sweden, or other European countries? What about Canada or Australia?

I can't agree with the attitude some posters have, i.e. the typical "there is nothing that can be done, let it be" attitude. You can't stop people from doing dangerous things that can harm themselves and others, but you can have a system that discourages people from doing certain things.

I'm the OP, I should make it clear that that's not my petition, that's THE petition on this matter that someone else started. I am just an apprentice electrician who is too busy studying and has time for nothing else. :)

I am only asking, and the responses on this thread are showing me that there is a problem, and that there are possible solutions. Does anyone know how it works in countries like Germany, Sweden, or other European countries? What about Canada or Australia?

I can't agree with the attitude some posters have, i.e. the typical "there is nothing that can be done, let it be" attitude. You can't stop people from doing dangerous things that can harm themselves and others, but you can have a system that discourages people from doing certain things.

i agree with op. Let it be. Or it is what it is attitude is terrible, steps should always be taken to improve all time and keep standards high. I blame recent industry slips on eu legislation another reason to get out of eu imo.

Here is a question for those who think that the petition should go through.

I have a degree in electronics, I have always been hands on (having a workshop with MANY tools including bandsaws, drill presses, woodworking bits, table saws etc etc...), and I am a very capable person. I am taking one of these so called "Short Courses", which clearly teaches all the theory behind domestic electrics. I have been fact checking the books to ensure that they are the real deal and have been very cautious. One of these books was written by the course for the sake of question asking and the latest book they sent me was Level 2 NVQ 2365.

The course also sent me the on site guide and the latest BS7671 (they are legit as they have the nice little hologram on the front page). Once I have done these few more modules I will start my practical training on-site so that they are sure I am able to do jobs to a good standard. (6 weeks in total).

Now if this petition where to go through I probably would not be able to start my own business so that I may work for myself. If I pass this course with flying colours then why should I not be able to install electrics? What makes me unqualified? Experience? What is experience? Just because I trained myself does not make me incapable. Or are you saying that it does?

Electricity is my life and has been since I was 12. I studied it at Warwick University and got a 2:1 in electronics which covered more theory than any electrician course can even touch. Three phase induction motors? Yup. High voltage switching? Yup (IGBJT), transformers and isolation? Yup.

I dont want to offend anyone here and I joined this forum so that I can learn from others. I also know that lately I have been making myself look like a bit of a fool (Wago Connectors and bathroom switches anyone ;) ?), but electricity is in my blood.

So my question: With MY knowledge am I capable of doing electrics after this course I am taking?

Last edited:
l "there is nothing that can be done, let it be"

I can't see any post suggesting that.

Most people are realists and can see that to get from the position the UK is in now to a fully regulated system is impracticable.

To get to a fully regulated system would have to be along the lines of the following;

Agreement on the minimum qualifications / training/ experience that class someone as Qualified and suitable for assessment in each sector of electrical work.

Determine where the boundaries are in working in each sector for those employed.

Determine the boundaries for legislation i.e can anyone fit a 13amp plug unqualified.

Setting up of Assessment Centres, strictly monitored by a single organisation to maintain the same standard across the Country.

Set up a system of inspection for work done on properties.

Determining the level and frequency of assessment /reassessment.

Assessing everyone currently working within the industry and those not currently working who may return later eg working out of the Country.

From a start date;
No one under the age of 21 would be allowed to work unsupervised

Everyone else would have 5 years (or more) depending on the number of Assessment Centre places available.

If after the above working with Electricity becomes an offence unless qualified, there will be a massive shortfall of qualified people.
There probably aren't enough people currently working to take on all the work and many that are would not want to go through the assessments.

Whilst the above is happening then we might as well bring Driving under more strict regulation and retesting as far more people die through poorly trained drivers than from badly installed electrical or gas installations.

And not forgetting the Food sector, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

I will start my practical training on-site so that they are sure I am able to do jobs to a good standard. (6 weeks in total).

What is experience? Just because I trained myself does not make me incapable. Or are you saying that it does?
With MY knowledge am I capable of doing electrics after this course I am taking?

No, you will not be capable of working on your own.

Would 6 weeks have been enough for HV switching or for Electronics or any of the other sectors you're qualified and experienced in?

Last edited:
A strict Gas type single scheme registration system is needed for the electrical contracting industry, with a single apprenticeship style route into the trade, with qualified persons being awarded a qualification of professional recognition.
That way any person or business engaging an electrician would know that a high standard of work can be expected,and if not they have a one stop route of complaint.
That should not outlaw DIY electrical work, people would have the choice....take the risk of doing it themselves,or use a recognised professional.
Under the current system i'ts a lottery for anyone wanting to use the professionals, anyone going through the phone book has no idea what they will end up with if they employ an electrician..NICEIC....ELECSA...NAPIT...STROMA...ALEC -TRICIAN....confusing or what?
But it's not going to happen is it? All the short-cut routes into the trade are generating more and more wannabees all parting with their cash into the scams grubby paws.
Dream on.

RobinMitchell;I said:

I have a degree in electronics, I have always been hands on (having a workshop with MANY tools including bandsaws, drill presses, woodworking bits, table saws etc etc...), and I am a very capable person. I am taking one of these so called "Short Courses", which clearly teaches all the theory behind domestic electrics. I have been fact checking the books to ensure that they are the real deal and have been very cautious. One of these books was written by the course for the sake of question asking and the latest book they sent me was Level 2 NVQ 2365.

The course also sent me the on site guide and the latest BS7671 (they are legit as they have the nice little hologram on the front page). Once I have done these few more modules I will start my practical training on-site so that they are sure I am able to do jobs to a good standard. (6 weeks in total).

Now if this petition where to go through I probably would not be able to start my own business so that I may work for myself. If I pass this course with flying colours then why should I not be able to install electrics? What makes me unqualified? Experience? What is experience? Just because I trained myself does not make me incapable. Or are you saying that it does?

Electricity is my life and has been since I was 12. I studied it at Warwick University and got a 2:1 in electronics which covered more theory than any electrician course can even touch. Three phase induction motors? Yup. High voltage switching? Yup (IGBJT), transformers and isolation? Yup.

I dont want to offend anyone here and I joined this forum so that I can learn from others. I also know that lately I have been making myself look like a bit of a fool (Wago Connectors and bathroom switches anyone ;) ?), but electricity is in my blood.

So my question: With MY knowledge am I capable of doing electrics after this course I am taking?

I think its outrageous that after a 6week short course and registration with a cps that you could be doing work in an unsuspecting customers home with no experience.

Back in the day when I took my apprenticeship you were expected to be high graded in maths and I don't mean the level the schools are pushing out now, you needed to be high graded in a science with a preference to physics but not essentially. You were given an aptitude test which included aspects of maths and physics, the expected fail rate was about 20% of this entry test.

Once on the course you did a block release format of so many weeks working as an apprentice with a company and so many weeks at college, this lasted 3-4 yrs depending if you added an extra advanced course. Other module courses were available but block was the most common.

On finishing your course you had a few exams to take, one a full written exam to ensure you understood the concept of the job you were training for and the theory behind it all (Very tough), then a further test which was a multi-choice one (not that hard IMHO).

If you successfully passed you were recommended to give yourself 2yrs on site before taking your AM2 to ensure your skill level was high enough to pass.

In the day, the exam was tough with high failure rates, the AM2 was tough with high failure rates but when you completed it all you had a decent income and a lot of respect in the trade, then the government stepped in and yrs and yrs of dumbing down for a political agenda has seen an Industry now been mocked by other trades, full of 'path of gold' short courses that are barely recognisable from the main full apprenticeship route, overseen by numerous profit based Scheme providers who put profit before action when it comes to ensuring their members are competent enough.
IMHO these short courses are great for a stepping stone for people already in a related trade and familiar with electrics who just need the paperwork and a little guidence, what they are been advertised as and misrepresented as are wonder courses giving the zero to hero message that you can just take one and your competent to wire someones house, well on paper you may be but as many are finding, they are way out of their depth because they have little to no experience and have never been trained onsite, both a must IMO to do a safe, compliant job.

The victims here are those been conned into these often expensive courses who are often getting a reality check when they enter the big world finding that no-one will take them on and they are fighting for work in a saturated market, and the course organises are knowingly doing it for it brings in a tidy profit. If you think about it, you had to have an apprenticeship to take a college course when I did it, this ensured you were getting the experience required over the yrs you were been taught and also that the jobs were out there, now you can sit at home download a course, take a test and in theory be rewiring someones house in 3 to 5weeks - this scares me alot.

Now in defense of those taking the courses, they are often unaware of all this and there are those that IMHO have taken the extra steps, put in the extra work and through detemination and getting up everytime they were knocked back have become a success but these are a minority and we do have members on here who are this minority and I'll happily help and take my hat off to but from yrs of reading the questions posed and the stories told by what were tagged the Electrical Trainee, many have turned away from the trade and lost large sums of money doing so

Last edited:

Reply to Petition: Make working with electricity a criminal offence unless qualified in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock