Discuss PFC removal industrial unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
Been asked to remove a pfc unit in an industrial unit
Has any1 had any experience in removal of a pfc unit and if so is there a safety procedure to follow and a way of discharging the unit correctly
Any advice would be great

They should have discharge resistors installed.

Switch the power off to them, wait 10 min and check for voltage.

How old are they? Some of the very old ones contained some nasties, but as long as the cells are still sealed that's no issue. however they will have to be disposed of as per Weee regulations.

Looks modern enough to not have the nasties I think anything pre 1990 may contain PCBs.

Switch it off, open it up and measure for voltage after 10min.

Wait until it reads 0V then disconect. An dispose of in the same manner you should be disposing of all you're electronic waste.

There will be a current transformer around one phase of the incoming supply to the premises. This must either be removed or shorted out. Failure to do so could result in a fire.

Just to add, do not remove this whilst the power is still on. Even if the PFC unit is switched off.

An open circuit CT can generate extremely high voltages across its terminals.

Reply to PFC removal industrial unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Has anyone here had any experiance of installing a Porsche 11kw 3ph EV wall charge unit ? We've not done many EV installs to date but...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m an industrial electrician, so when it comes to DB regs and such my experience on them is a little limited. I need 2 x 16A 3 phase supply...
Replies
Views
Hi - just after thoughts on this please. I've been doing some testing on a 20 year old MCC. On the original EIC, Ze was reported as 0.04 R, PFC...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping someone can clarify for me. I've recently moved into a rental property, the landlord had new electric radiators installed and a new...
Replies
Views
Completed my AM2s start of this year. My whole career plan is to run my own company/sole trader. Be my own boss basically. I always get asked...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock