Discuss PFC Test Industrial RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Pmarsh

Hi all, most of my work is industrial, I'm required to test a consumer unit in a hydro generation unit.
This is not an issue I'm just struggling with the PSCC Live test as there is an industrial RCD directly after the incoming supply from Scottish power due to us having to supply our own earth TT. I've managed a PEFC test on the board on the no trip setting of my megger MFT1552 and have Very low reading understandably due to the TT earthing arrangement.

Every time I try a PSCC test it trips the industrial RCD. Is there a way around this using my tester or will bypassing the RCD be the only option. I would like to do the test at the board as there's a 40meter 50mm supply cable running back to the supply metering room that I would like to take into account.

As I say most of my work is industrial, so not overly familiar with the tester.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Will your tester measure phase to phase? This shouldn't bother the RCD unit.

Rule of thumb would be to just double the PEFC but as it's TT and you're measuring low current it will likely be lower than it potentially could be.

Measure phase to phase as rob said.
I've got a megger mft 1552 and it's good for 500v so no bother there.
You could measure phase to neutral and double your reading as a rule of thumb but your pfc will always be the measured value between phases and if single phase on a TT phase to neutral.

Hi all, most of my work is industrial, I'm required to test a consumer unit in a hydro generation unit.
This is not an issue I'm just struggling with the PSCC Live test as there is an industrial RCD directly after the incoming supply from Scottish power due to us having to supply our own earth TT. I've managed a PEFC test on the board on the no trip setting of my megger MFT1552 and have Very low reading understandably due to the TT earthing arrangement.

Every time I try a PSCC test it trips the industrial RCD. Is there a way around this using my tester or will bypassing the RCD be the only option. I would like to do the test at the board as there's a 40meter 50mm supply cable running back to the supply metering room that I would like to take into account.

As I say most of my work is industrial, so not overly familiar with the tester.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
What is an industrial RCD??

Yeah I've self named it as it's large takes 50mm cables and is used for the industrial work I'm doing.. imaginative I know ;), basically it's just a large 3 phase Schneider earth leakage MCCB as you stated rob. Ok will give phase to phase a go, thanks all.

How are you carrying out the PSCC test at the moment? It seems very odd that it should trip an earth leakage relay, have you tried adjusting the settings of the relay temporarily to allow the test to be carried out?

Reply to PFC Test Industrial RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock