Discuss Phone Home! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DONJAY

Hi guys, not been on here for long time, Why “phone home”? I recently found out about this con, it applies to a business with Caller forwarding to another phone on the same number, This can apply to any trades, etc, So, if you are away from your home phone, The incoming call is forwarded to another phone, which may or not be on! The tradesman in question, thought not much new work coming in, so thought he would phone his own number to check his own outgoing message, but the message he got was (in a strange voice) along the lines of-I am forwarding you to someone who is qualified on no= xxxxxx as the person you called is not, or gone out of business etc! To be honest how often do we phone our own message? Hence the title! This is early stages, so I expect there will be more details available on this, and I will update.
all the best, DONJAY

I've heard this happening about a dozen times and every time it's been "A mate of my brother's/uncle etc has had this happen to him"
As far as my experience goes it's a popular myth just now mate
Feel free to prove me wrong though and if appropriate I shall issue a public apology:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard of this a couple of times and got to agree it's a myth

For this to happen the person or persons setting up the alternative divert number would have to hack into the telephone exchange

If it happened to me I would certainly be contacting my phone provider and the police

The interception, recording and monitoring of telephone calls is governed by a number of different pieces of UK legislation. The requirements of all relevant legislation must be complied with. The main ones are:

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 ("RIPA")
Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000 ("LBP Regulations")
Data Protection Act 1998
Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999
Human Rights Act 1998

The interception of telecommunications such as telephone calls and emails and of postal communications can potentially be a very severe intrusion into your privacy. Article 8 of the Convention, which guarantees your right to respect for your privacy, also expressly protects your right to respect for your correspondence, and correspondence can include telecommunications. For this reason the law strictly regulates the circumstances in which your post or telecommunications can be intercepted or monitored. Any interception which is not done in accordance with the law and which cannot be justified as being necessary and proportionate for a legitimate aim is likely to constitute a breach of your human rights.
Regulation of telephone tapping and other forms of interception of communications is governed by the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, known as RIPA.
It is an offence for any person intentionally, and without lawful authority, to intercept any communication in the course of its transmission through a public telecommunication system and – except in specified circumstances – through a private telecommunication system . This offence is established under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA). So it will be unlawful for a person to intercept, for instance, a telephone call though a landline, a call or text message through a mobile network, an email or message sent though the internet. This offence does not apply to stored communications, however, such as automatically recorded calls or messages on answering machines.

http://www2.law.ox.ac.uk/opbp/OPBP Intercept Evidence Report.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Phone Home! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net