Discuss Phone Query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have a customer who wants to move his office to his home.
Consequently he wants to take his business phone number with him, he also wants to keep his existing home telephone number, he wants an ADSL line too, which shouldn't be a problem.

What may be a problem is that there is only a 1 pair cable coming into the house from the telephone connection box 300m down the street - a potential nightmare if a new cable is required.

So the question is, is it possible to run two phone numbers down the same cable?

Last edited:
if the cable is 2 pair or more, then it's possible. need to get BT in th do it. if a new cable needs installing, then it's their problem. also BT to transfer his number to a new location.

Thanks Tel, fast as always Mate, BT don't turn out this far unfortunately lol, the local phone company are murder to get sense out of, didn't know if what I am asking is possible before I get into it with them, but if two pair are needed then it's a new cable.

You (or rather the telephone company) should be able to divert the business number to the exchange, then divert it to the home number. This is called 'remote call forwarding' and from memory is available on a featureline compact with ADSL, although it was a while since I worked for BT. Obviously you would only be able to call out from the home number.
Alternatively you could have the line changed to ISDN and have separate telephones with separate DDI numbers, although you can't use ADSL on in ISDN line.

That said, presumably this will be a Spanish telephone network, so I have no idea.

Thanks for the answers above Guys.
Sorry to cause confusion, should have made it more obvious I was in Spain.
I guess if two phone numbers can't go down a one pair cable, it would be the same here as in the UK.

i forgot you were in spain. bloody obvious though seeing as how it's right there below your avatar. DOH.

i forgot you were in spain. bloody obvious though seeing as how it's right there below your avatar. DOH.

No worries Tel, it's looking like a new cable now, the existing cable is OK and the phone company will install a new cable, but the ducts are collapsed from heavy traffic running over the grass verges under which they are buried and they won't take responsibility for replacing the ducts.
300m sigh.......
Could do with a trained ferret with a string tied to it's tail.

Last edited:
I haven't got into it with them yet Adam, I don't want to start a technical discussion with them without knowing for sure if what I am asking can be done, they are notoriously difficult to deal with, like some of the calls to DNO's in the UK, get passed around, get cut off, but in Spanish. I thought the answer may have been a simple yes you can, or no you can't, thought I would ask the forum. Looks like I will have to get in touch with them - Yuk.

My client is away at the moment but I'm fairly sure he wouldn't want call forwarding, he wants two distinct numbers that can be dialed both in and out.

As I said, I'm pretty sure you can have several DDI lines down a digital ISDN line, although that would involve upgrading it, at extra cost.
I'm not sure about BT or what they do in Spain, but every NTL (Virgin media) installation would have 2 telephone lines and CATV run to the outside of the property as standard, because it's what comes in the 'Siamese' cable which they use. This allows for future expansion of an extra line, or cable TV/broadband without having to pull another cable back to the cabinet.

Reply to Phone Query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net