Discuss Phone systems for a Supermarket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gerard

Hi,
Can anyone explain the ins and outs of supplying a phone system in a building like a supermarket? The phone comes in from the provider and what next???
There will be a number of internal phones for the offices. Also there will be 12 checkouts, each requiring it's own data point. As I'm pretty clueless about this I would like it as simple as possible please!!
Cheers,

every data point and phone point requires a cat 5 or 6 or what ever the specification is back to a patch panel or possably 2,3,4, depending on how many thats as much as I know Lottery,payphones paypoint require a seperate line from BT ect

Thanks for that. So, does the phone line from the provider come into the PBX system first and then distributed to the patch panel and the office phones?

Run each data point back to a patch panel , this will then be patched to the till server
The phone system should have its own switch , you can also run the phone points ( cat5/6) back to the patch panel and then patch them to the phone switch
in most cases cat5 will be sufficent only install cat6 if it's spec'ed

OK, thanks for that. That makes sense. Is the patch panel then connected to the PBX system or directly to the phone service supplier incoming cable? This is where i'm confused.

The cat5 runs go to the patch panel from the patch panel to the phone switch and then assuming your connecting to a pri line the pri line connects to phone system,
The line provider will leave you with a pri line box

Who's phone system are you installing

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. So, does the phone line from the provider come into the PBX system first and then distributed to the patch panel and the office phones?

Yes, in a nut shell.

You'll probably have 2 main lines (store main phone number) these will go directly in to the pbx and all the extensions will also connect to allow internal calls.
Gone are the days when multiple lines were controlled by the local exchange, PBX will handle it all even if they have DDI's (Different external telephone numbers) for each extension

The paypoint, lottery, ATMs etc do not normally go in to the PBX system.

Hope this helps... although I may have just complicated things !!1

Hi,

That's fine- I understand what you are saying.
It's not the easiest to get my head round because there
are so many system types and different ways
of going about it.

Thanks for that

Reply to Phone systems for a Supermarket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net