Discuss Phone wiring using cat 5 cable in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm going to install possibly a couple of phone points and burglar alarm system in new build. Just wondering though, can Cat 5 (3 pairs) cable be used?
From memory phone cable cores are solid drawn. alarm cable stranded. I've never seen or used Cat 5 cable before.
Plumber on site has a drum of Cat 5 cable which is going to be used for the Central Heating system, remote stats , programmers. Any thoughts? Thanks

Also...chatting to CCTV company whereby I've purchased RG59 +2 cable for cameras. Got chatting about interlinking TV system to use as monitors as well. Mentioned I must use 75 ohm cable. On checking what I've already installed..RG6 cable...panic started to set in..googled it, turns out to be 75 ohms. but it is a lot smaller in size than RG59. Any one have any thoughts?

It's important to use the correct cable with video (and the matching plugs and sockets) miss-matched components may appear to work (especially for short distances) but there will be losses and miss matched plugs / sockets will not be a perfect fit.

Just use the blue, blue/white in the cat5 as for voice that's what the blues are for.

dont use cat 5 for the intruder alarm.

RG59 is preferred for CCTV and most bnc's will be made to fit rg59, you can get bnc's to fit RG6 but if your connecting to a tv it can be better to fit a yellow phono plug each end of your rg6 then if your dvr only has bnc just use phono to bnc.

Also...chatting to CCTV company whereby I've purchased RG59 +2 cable for cameras. Got chatting about interlinking TV system to use as monitors as well. Mentioned I must use 75 ohm cable. On checking what I've already installed..RG6 cable...panic started to set in..googled it, turns out to be 75 ohms. but it is a lot smaller in size than RG59. Any one have any thoughts?

Rg6 is the normal standard for cctv or if coupled with power its known as shotgun cable. problem is there's different grades of Rg6 i used copper core with copper screening+foil

Reply to Phone wiring using cat 5 cable in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net