Discuss Pictures of work completed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wondering is there a thread on this of work completed?
Like surface work etc? Pictures showing this as can give other sparks ideas :vanish: Good feeling to be proud of the work you completed too!

Just an idea folks!

There was no need for the apostrophe in photos.

Strictly speaking there IS a need for the apostrophe. Photo is short for photograph and so the apostrophe shows the missing letters rather than indicating a plural in this case. It's like bus - this is an abbreviation of omnibus, and years ago was usually written as 'bus. Obviously these days the apostrophe is no longer needed though because the new shortened words have become the norm. It's not incorrect though.

More from grammatical pedant's corner next week :) Daz

Strictly speaking yes. Photo is an abbreviation. Daz

It is yes. But it isn't just shortened by removing a letter or two and so apostrophes don't work so well with it. Don't try to out-pedant me :) Darren

It is yes. But it isn't just shortened by removing a letter or two and so apostrophes don't work so well with it. Don't try to out-pedant me :) Darren

I think you'll find that words shortened by a letter or two that are replaced with an apostrophe are known as contractions and not abbreviations.

I think the word photo is older than photograph, the word photograph means drawing with light. So photo meaning light and graph meaning drawing. ask anyone from the photography forum.
There's also (excuse spelling) photosynthesis, photogenic, photographic and others.

I think you'll find that words shortened by a letter or two that are replaced with an apostrophe are known as contractions and not abbreviations.

No, a contraction is formed from two words, it's not just a shortening of one. Daz

No, a contraction is formed from two words, it's not just a shortening of one. Daz

Just had to Google this and it turns out that a contraction is a word or phrase that's (see what I did there) been shortened, with the missing letters replaced with an apostrophe.

Reply to Pictures of work completed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net