Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss PIR code advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. eddie current

eddie current Guest

hi guys
    im new here so please be gentle with me...lol
    i have just started a new job in a factory, maintenance spark.
    a few years ago the company had a PIR carried out and guess what, its my job to sort out all the faults,,,,,,,, happy days... not
    my question is
    they have been given a code 2 for the neutrals not being identified in the db baords.
    they are identified, well they are all black and in a neutral bar...
    any advice please guys on the easiest way around this, its very hard for me to turn the power off to these circuits as we run 24 / 7

2. Electricalserv

Electricalserv Guest

Are the neutrals numbered correctly?

Regarding turning equipment off, you need to sort out a schedule with the boss. If he wants the faults sorted he needs to comprimise....Aske him to do one fault per day. Give him an estimate on how long that fault is going to take to rectify, theres not much else you can do in this situation.

3. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

Out of hours working......bit of extra cash for you maybe.....

I dont think a code 2 is correct in this case TBH.

A code 2 warrants an unsatisfactory verdict on a PIR, can anyone honestly say that a neutral conductor out of sequence really warrants that. For me, no.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  4. morph

morph Regular EF Member

out of sequence? uhm i would ask for the reg number , then you wont need to do anything

5. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

314.1 (ii) would be one

6. Chr!s

Chr!s Electrician's Arms

Although identified by color, can you identify the circuits to which they belong?

Sounds like a code 4 to me

If your after a Reg id look at 514.1.2.

7. IQ Electrical

IQ Electrical Trusted Advisor

Yes, always a code 4 for me too but if, in the inspector's opinion, the non-sequential neutrals posed a danger in that particular installation then you're stuck with a code 2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

4, was my thought also.

9. eddie current

eddie current Guest

they didnt really state incorrect sequence, just incorrectly marked, they were wired to the 16th edition and marked in black, i think this guy expects blue tape on all the neutrals however this would make all the L3 live blues very dangerous in my opinion

10. IQ Electrical

IQ Electrical Trusted Advisor

How ridiculous, apply a '2 colours' sticker and the job's done!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chr!s

Chr!s Electrician's Arms

Well what would the risk be in the installation in its present state and what potential risks may develop from the non compliance with 514.1.2.

I think the risk posed would be down to the competence of the person carrying out work.

12. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

You could always stick an alphanumeric indicator of "N' to them, I personally would not tape them blue for the reason you cited.

13. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i think it would be bloody dangerous to sleeve them blue. the installation was wired in the proper colours, and to interfere with this would cause confusion and possible danger of electrocution. do they want all the other original colours sleeved? aboslute madness IMO.

14. mogga

mogga Just me Electrician's Arms

its a 16th edition installation NO BLUE Sleeving required Mixed Wire sticker on dbs If the neutrals don't correspond 1.1 2.2 ect then IMO its a code 4 and a lable on db stating non sequential neutrals

15. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or 15 minutes swapping the conductors into the correct terminal numbers.