Discuss PIR coding help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mcm

-
Reaction score
went to carry out a periodic report today and noted the points below. what are everyones thoughts on the coding?

1. no earth connected to metal light fitting. earth in cable but not on light.
2. twin and earth cable in roof space. property being thatched roof no rodent protection.
3. no 30ma rcd protection to ground floor sockets. socket could be used outside.
4. no fan isolator in downstaires toilet. no window
5. socket over cooker. plug lead over above hob on double socket.
6. cooker cable not clipped to surface from isolator to switch.
7. no main earth bond on oil pipe.

The supply is from over head but could not find any earthing stake as main earth. disconnected bonding to water and found out that the earth was from the pipe work in the house being cross bonded. phoned electricity company and sending someone out to see if they can convert to pme (tncs). Am I right in asking them first to convert as it is their property.

going back tomorrow so will find out what the electricity company say.

what codings would everyone say the points are.

thanks.

went to carry out a periodic report today and noted the points below. what are everyones thoughts on the coding?

1. no earth connected to metal light fitting. earth in cable but not on light. code 2
2. twin and earth cable in roof space. property being thatched roof no rodent protection.not compliant with effect of externall influences, IMO code 4.
3. no 30ma rcd protection to ground floor sockets. socket could be used outside. code 1 for outside sockets
4. no fan isolator in downstaires toilet. no window. isolator not obligatory. no code
5. socket over cooker. plug lead over above hob on double socket.code 2 IMO
6. cooker cable not clipped to surface from isolator to switch. unsure where you mean. code 4?
7. no main earth bond on oil pipe.code 2 if the pipe is metallic and comes from outside

The supply is from over head but could not find any earthing stake as main earth. disconnected bonding to water and found out that the earth was from the pipe work in the house being cross bonded. phoned electricity company and sending someone out to see if they can convert to pme (tncs). Am I right in asking them first to convert as it is their property. see what they say. if no chance of pme, then you'll have to TT it

thanks.

my commentsa are my personal opinion and could be altered with an appropriate amount of the amber nectar

Last edited:

1. no earth connected to metal light fitting. earth in cable but not on light. Code 1 IMO
2. twin and earth cable in roof space. property being thatched roof no rodent protection. Possibly 4 but maybe just an Observation
3. no 30ma rcd protection to ground floor sockets. socket could be used outside. Code 2
4. no fan isolator in downstaires toilet. no window No code
5. socket over cooker. plug lead over above hob on double socket. Probably no code
6. cooker cable not clipped to surface from isolator to switch. Code 2
7. no main earth bond on oil pipe. Code 2

The supply is from over head but could not find any earthing stake as main earth. disconnected bonding to water and found out that the earth was from the pipe work in the house being cross bonded. phoned electricity company and sending someone out to see if they can convert to pme (tncs). Am I right in asking them first to convert as it is their property.

thanks.

PIR codes Always opens up debate!!

true, but i stand on code 2 for the cpc not connected to light ( not a real and immediate danger), and code 1 or 2 for the socket can be used outside. we're mostly in agreement though.

I base my codes on the set ones givem to be by our companys I&T department, although I certainly see that the metal fitting presents no immediate danger, so I certainly wouldn't argue with a 2.
Sockets not on RCD I'm given the choice of putting 4, which I use where sockets are upstairs/unlikely to be used outside and 2 if they downstairs/near doors.

My personal favourite solution, which I have seen once or twice is stickers stating 'not suitable for equipment outdoors stickers' lol

1. no earth connected to metal light fitting. earth in cable but not on light. ( code 2)
2. twin and earth cable in roof space. property being thatched roof no rodent protection. (no code )
3. no 30ma rcd protection to ground floor sockets. socket could be used outside. (code 4)
4. no fan isolator in downstaires toilet. no window (no code)
5. socket over cooker. plug lead over above hob on double socket. ( no code )
6. cooker cable not clipped to surface from isolator to switch. ( not sure what you mean exactly)
7. no main earth bond on oil pipe. ( code 2)

thanks.

cant see why sockets eithout rcd would be code 1 or 2 unless it is a TT

cant see why sockets eithout rcd would be code 1 or 2 unless it is a TT

generally a code 4. however, if able to be used outside, i believe a code 2 is more appropriate because of the increased danger.

i'm not saying dangerous as in a code 1, but code 2 as requires improvement.

i would certainly recommend an RCD socket and state that in the comments.

but if i were a proper businessman like A.S. , i'd talk them into a full rewire at £20,000.

The bonding as your earth to me is a 2.
Light CPC is a 3
No RCD is a 4
T+E in roof is a 3
And is the no isolator in a TOILET or BATHROOM.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I mean by non rcd sockets is the ground floor sockets could be used for a extension lead and lawn mower. The installation gas a 100amp 100ma rcbo switch.

the cooker has a double socket over the hob wich the hood plugs into. maybe a danger with lead over the hob.

Thanks

Reply to PIR coding help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock