Discuss PIR coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mainebankelec

Just finished a periodic in a domestic premises due to be up for rental shortly.

My query is,

Supply is TNS

Counsumer unit is metalclad with tails entering bottow of DB through bushed holes but the tails are not rcd protected?

Should this be code 4 as does not complie with current edition

Many thanks

Sorry confused myself reading and typing lol

First issue : Supply tails from meter enter a metalclad consumer unit do these require coding

2nd issue: At present there is no main bond to oil line code 2 but to be able to bond the oil line the bonding conductor is going to have to be outside at the oil tank as there is no copper oil line inside the property just the flexible pipe you see at the burner.?

Just finished a periodic in a domestic premises due to be up for rental shortly.

My query is,

Supply is TNS

Counsumer unit is metalclad with tails entering bottow of DB through bushed holes but the tails are not rcd protected?

Should this be code 4 as does not complie with current edition

Many thanks
I don't see a compliance issue with this on a TN-S supply, as long as the cable entry holes are bushed or grommeted, therefore NO coding required. If the supply was TT and a metal-clad board, then the tails would require RCD protection, then potential danger exists, Code 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re the tails, if the meter and the CU are in the same area I wouldn't code the "issue" at all - but that's only my opinion.

Re the oil line - if its flexible, do you mean not metal?

Last issue is the main incoming supply to building has bonding clamps fitted to the main supply cable in two places with both clamps interconnected and then one piece of 16mm earth to the esco. Would you just note this on certificate and ask the customer to check with supply authority if this is adequate?

It is still metal. The main oil comes from the oil tank about 1m in normal copper piping then as it enters the property it changes to the flexible metal coated pipe. If i stuck a clamp round this it would just compress and not provide an adequate bond. But i read somewere previously that you could not bond pipe to the external of a premises?

If you think that the oil line will introduce a potential into the property, bond the rigid (not flexible) oil line at the nearest point of entry to the property (inside or outside) NOT at the oil tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see a compliance issue with this on a TN-S supply, as long as the cable entry holes are bushed or grommeted, therefore NO coding required. If the supply was TT and a metal-clad board, then the tails would require RCD protection, then potential danger exists, Code 2.

Code 2 a TT with no RCD on tails? So would you insist on it being a 100mA RCD? For tails outgoing circuits

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.589702,-1.100750

Reply to PIR coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net