Discuss PIR in an ATEX area. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been asked to carry out PIR and subsequent remedials at a small factory that has a Zone 2 area (ATEX and DSEAR regs apply) but does that mean that the firm i work for would have to undergo Hazardous Training as a legal requirement ? or as long as we stick to the nescessary rules and regs are we ok to procede.
Done some investigating and the outlay costs for the training may outway the contract value.

Been asked to carry out PIR and subsequent remedials at a small factory that has a Zone 2 area (ATEX and DSEAR regs apply) but does that mean that the firm i work for would have to undergo Hazardous Training as a legal requirement ? or as long as we stick to the nescessary rules and regs are we ok to procede.
Done some investigating and the outlay costs for the training may outway the contract value.

What percentage of the installation is taken up by this area and is documentation available from the original installation contractors, specifically relating to standards observed in the ATEX area?

If the area is a small percentage of the installation, a limitation could be agreed with the client.

This is a (not exhaustive) list of standards:

HSE - Electricity - ATEX and DSEAR - Technical standards

What percentage of the installation is taken up by this area and is documentation available from the original installation contractors, specifically relating to standards observed in the ATEX area?

If the area is a small percentage of the installation, a limitation could be agreed with the client.

This is a (not exhaustive) list of standards:

HSE - Electricity - ATEX and DSEAR - Technical standards
Approx 50% of the site is zone 2 the other half is wharehousing and offices.
Not sure if the client has the original install certs, are they a special type of form or standard NIC icn2 for instance?

Approx 50% of the site is zone 2 the other half is wharehousing and offices.
Not sure if the client has the original install certs, are they a special type of form or standard NIC icn2 for instance?

Probably a standard EIC but there should be mention made in the manuals of compliance (design and installation) to BS EN 60079 and also inclusion of the model hazardous area forms from BS EN 60079.

Without the appropriate Compex modules (probably EX01-EX04) you may not be competent to inspect the ATEX area unless under the direct supervision of someone who is deemed competent.

Reply to PIR in an ATEX area. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net