Discuss Pir lighting circuit.. help!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I really need advice/help regarding some lights I’ve wired today. I’ve wired a room that contains a pir and 4 light fittings 2x EM/2xnormal. I’ve taken a Brown black blue and earth From the board so (the feed) straight to the pir then come out of the pir with the same to each light fitting. Will this work? If so what are the connections for pir? I’m not sure if I need the black at the pir? Any help appreciated as if wrong I will need to amend tomorrow morning

brown/blue to PIR, then from PIR Brown/blue S/L and N to lights for PIR activation, Black via keyswitch for perm L to EMs. don'tforget brown sleeve.

Thanks. So if I’ve taken black brown blue and earth to the pir from the board but only need brown/blue at pir do I take the black and earth to the first light instead? Then also come out of the pir with brown blue and earth to pick up each light fitting? Sorry need it in basics terms

No switch. Only pir. Em test switch by board so I’ve just run live neutral earth and black as feed from there straight to the room and into pir then come out of pir with same cables to each light. If I only need live and neutral at pir can I not connector block black and earth to first light? I’m confused, help

I know the pir operates just like a switch but I can’t get my head around it all now I have wired it this way.. I have 4 cables from the board (the feed) at the pir when I only need a brown/blue. I don’t know how to reactify this now? Can you help and explain in simple terms? I’m an apprentice, 2nd year

Well, you've got enough wires to make it work. Check what wires are needed (connection wise) at each point, PIR, fittings and emergency fittings, do a drawing and think how the wires can be used. Take your time and think.....on paper you'll find it easier.

The trouble is it’s meant to be complete. I have an hour tomorrow to fix it before the work is signed off. Can you explain to me how I can make it work with having wired it the way I have? Can I just connect the live and neutral to the pir that is there and take the black (em) and earth on to the first fitting? Then do I need to wire a black (em) back to the pir from the first light?

All wired in singles in conduit. I’ve take the 4 singles straight from board to pir. Don’t think cables are long enough to go to first fitting instead now either..
I ask again, why blue? But hey, as you are in trouble:-
No colours! Live-Neutral to PIR, switched side of PIR + Neutral to non ER lights. For EL, permanent live at PIR + Neutral to EM via key switch. Depending on what EM lights you have you may also need a switched live (from the PIR).

Thanks.. So right now I have live neutral earth and permanent live at pir fed from the board. Permanent live is via a key switch. So can I just wire out of pir now to each light fitting? The issue I had was I didn’t think I needed permanent live at the pir from board

Reply to Pir lighting circuit.. help!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock