• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss PIR lighting issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

v.elec

Hi.

Weird one. I fitted a Georgian style PIR light outside the door of my house.

Got a 3 core flex cable (Line, Neutral and CPC) from board to 13A spur (fused down to 3A), then to light fitting.

When you walk by, it switches on fully bright, but when it switches off (a.k.a no movement) - it's still on, but MUCH dimmer, but always on. So basically I have BRIGHT ON or DIM ON!

Sensor is adjusted to full and time is 30 seconds. But changing this makes no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Yes.

But funnily enough -
Terminal layout is LIVE, NEUTRAL, EARTH and SWITCHED LIVE.

PIR lighting only requires permanent live because sensor does the switching. So..... what's switched live terminal for? Aha.

I connect BROWN to LIVE, BLUE to NEUTRAL, GREEN/YELLOW to earth. Switched live terminal has nothing connected to it.

some fittings have a dusk sensor which does this by design, might be worth checking it's not one of those first! I fitted some the other day which had a dimmer value and a timer (as well as the normal proximity, delay and lux controls) purely for a dusk setting.

If you've supplied it directly from the DB why did you wire it through a fused spur and not just a switch?

some fittings have a dusk sensor which does this by design, might be worth checking it's not one of those first! I fitted some the other day which had a dimmer value and a timer (as well as the normal proximity, delay and lux controls) purely for a dusk setting.

So are you saying:

Light is on dim throughout the whole night?

Then when it is bright during day should be completely off?

Definitely sounds like the one I've got on the front of mine, where the 'OFF' position is actually a half-brightness level. Probably working as it should. Daz

Definitely sounds like the one I've got on the front of mine, where the 'OFF' position is actually a half-brightness level. Probably working as it should. Daz

I think you are correct, thanks for clarifying.

Just still unsure what SW L terminal was for, that confused me slightly aha.

But cheers.

I thought the switched live was if you wanted it on permanently?
i.e controlled from the house?
a lot of modern ones have this feature by simply switching it on and off very quickly.

Reply to PIR lighting issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back