Discuss PIR Lighting with bypass help. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have today wired up some LED lights to a PIR sensor using 2 switches, the second one is a 2 way (not sure of the correct terminology, sorry for my ignorance, double throw or something?) They seem to work as I wanted with the first switch switching the whole lot on or off and the second switch switching them on all the time or via the sensor. One thing i noticed is that when switching between auto and manual the light switches on and off quickly, other than this they work fine! On looking through the internet i have found that my way seems a little different to everyone elses and would like someone to confirm that its ok. The first diagram is a diagram i found on the net using a switched live and the second is way i have done it!
Thanks in advance for any help.
65610055.jpg my way.jpg

It won't let me edit my post but i guess my question is, will having a permanent live to the sensor make any difference?

the reason you get a brief lights on when switching is because you don't have a perm.L to PIR. be better to change the switch to a D/P switch to isolate, and a 1 gang 1 way switch for manual operation.

Use the top drawing the L.H.S. switch is used as a means of turning off the light permanently the R.H.S. overrides the P.I.R. so that you can have the light on all the time.

the reason you get a brief lights on when switching is because you don't have a perm.L to PIR. be better to change the switch to a D/P switch to isolate, and a 1 gang 1 way switch for manual operation.
changing switch config to give perm live is fine, no need to change switches, just curious as to why you should not live the back side of PIR without live to front...

With the 2nd diagrame when you switch the light from the permantly on mode the light will go into walk test and if you swich the switch quickly between live and switched live it could be one that stays on untill you flick the switch quickly again which may be desirable thats why I go with the first.

With the 2nd diagrame when you switch the light from the permantly on mode the light will go into walk test and if you swich the switch quickly between live and switched live it could be one that stays on untill you flick the switch quickly again which may be desirable thats why I go with the first.
ok thats great, thanks for explaining that for me :) i bought cheapo PIR sensors and looked through the book and could not see any bypass feature, im guessing it would normally say in the instructions somewhere?

Last edited:
I have just noticed you have put your location as France therfore my post is based on UK wiring practices and UK sold PIR lights.

Reply to PIR Lighting with bypass help. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net