Discuss PIR on Caravan's help please . . . in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Roberto

Hi guys, am new to the forum although I have been reading threads on it for a while. I am looking for a little help on the job I am currently doing. I am currently carrying out PIR's for a number of caravans on a large park, but am getting pretty puzzled when coming to fill in the 'SUPPLY CHARACTERISTICS AND EARTHING ARRANGEMENTS' and 'PARTICULARS OF INSTALLATION AT ORIGIN'.

The thing is before the electricity reaches the commando socket at the caravan it passes through a number of DB's. So what information do I fill in these sections? Do I fill the PIR in purely for the caravan and incoming supply from the commando socket or do I need to include the details of the supply entering the site?

Also some of the caravans have TT supplys (Earthrods located outside) so does this change things also?

Help would be appreciated thanks :)

Funny guy, I was simply meaning there is an earth rod located outside the caravan at the commando socket point and not the other side of the site.

On your EICR/PIR sheet there is a heading Extent and Limitations, this will give you your remit as to where and what you are T&Iing to be agreed with the client in writing beforehand.

If you are T&I the whole installation then you would fill out a SoTR for each DB and outlet, and depending on the client/ insurance etc. one or more SoI.

Cheer spark 68, I am not testing the whole installation (that'll hopefully be my next job) just the caravans themselves atm. I am just a little puzzled at what results to use for the supply at origin etc, the results from the DB in the caravan (as that is my PIR origin) or the main supply coming into the caravan park itself??

it's all down to the definition of origin. IMO the hook up post is the origin of the caravan installation.

Sorry I was not clear.

If your remit is say only testing the the pitch outlet, then you will mark your Zdb for this on the sheet, for the supply characteristics you may have to put N/V (not verified) if the client does not want to give you access or you are unable to isolate for Ze at the origin etc...etc.

You can only T&I what is in front of you, and depending on what the extent and limitations are, may severely restrict the actual value and worth of the EICR, but that is down to the client, you can only advise.

Telectrix says hook up post is the origin, you say the incoming mains to the park is the origin? Is this just 1 of these debatable questions or is there a correct answer?

And if we agree the origin is the main incoming cable, what then happens when I need to write report for a TT hook up point? As the 'PARTICULARS OF INSTALLATION AT ORIGIN Means of Earthing' would be Distributor's facility, but this individual circuit has an independent earth rod and doesn't use the distributors facility?? Test sheets shouldn't be so confusing!!

Did a park in Feb (tbh, it's a bit late in the season to be I&T ing caravan parks but each to their own). Generally the remit round here is from the hookup onwards but you have to agree this with the park manager/owner. With the caravan sites I've done I have treated the hookup/commando socket as the incomming supply and worked from there onwards.

Technically speaking, and this is only an observation, if you're going to be I&T ing the whole site, you're a commercial spark, test sheets shouldn't be that confusing.

The few PIR's ave already handed over I entered the hookup point as the incoming supply but just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I didn't think it made much sense to included the main incoming supply 3-4 DB's down the line a good few hundred meters away. I have only been testing about 2 years and ave always been doing domestic properties or new commercial so PIR in caravans is pretty new to me. Every day is a learning day as they say :) cheers for the help

might be an idea to check the IET website for their opinion. the certificates we use, based on BS7671 are not designed for caravans.

Reply to PIR on Caravan's help please . . . in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net