Discuss PIR on pub.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello chaps...

Got a PIR on a pub coming up, in a right state !!

Just want to make sure I've got this correct.

It's recommended every 5 years for a commercial premises ?

And part p will only apply to any domestic living quarters ?

Anything else I should be aware of...?

Many thanks,

Sy

part p applies to the pub if it has living accommodation in the same building, supplied from the same meter. however, you don't have to be part p registered to carry out PIRs.

Check with the local licensing authority as they may have something to say about the periods between testing due to it being used by the public.

pubs not in big chains are generaly crud to work in and PIR most will have been expanded and added to over the years many alterations done by"jimmy" for a couple of pints and the DB chart will probably be nothing like the actual as fitted
Have fun M8

and if you are lucky enough to have any test results from previous inspections, don't take them as anything but jackanory with out testing yourself.

Thanks chaps...

Yes this is going to be a rather a nice one, not. Even the landlord said it all looks a bit dodgy, not a good start !! Going to price up next week, think I might have a look at getting some indeminity insurance also...

part p applies to the pub if it has living accommodation in the same building, supplied from the same meter.
would that be applied to the whole pub then, not just the living quarter ? Say if it's all on the same meter, CU for living quarters, then seperate CU's for pub ?

Thanks chaps...

Yes this is going to be a rather a nice one, not. Even the landlord said it all looks a bit dodgy, not a good start !! Going to price up next week, think I might have a look at getting some indeminity insurance also...

would that be applied to the whole pub then, not just the living quarter ? Say if it's all on the same meter, CU for living quarters, then seperate CU's for pub ?

If the pub and living accommadation are supplied via the same meter it will all come under Part P nothing to do with being feed via seperate CU/DBs

I've been on call to a big pub chains pub before, absolute shocker - literally! Think about flex buried in garden coming coming out next to kiddys slide to feed sign! Lighting circuits in 1.0mm feeding 50 fittings on 16a breakers etc.!

I've been on call to a big pub chains pub before, absolute shocker - literally! Think about flex buried in garden coming coming out next to kiddys slide to feed sign! Lighting circuits in 1.0mm feeding 50 fittings on 16a breakers etc.!

I agree, public house wiring is some of the worst that I've come across and it's probably down to the fact that everyone at the pub knows 'a bloke that can do that'

The problem is the bloke often just thinks he can do it!

Speaking as one the blokes in the pub, landlord asked if I’d add a couple of sockets in the cellar. OK I’ll have a look, having a look was as far as I went. I’d want my HV gloves on before touching any of it, it was a death trap. There were three electricians drank in there, all refused to touch it.

Sy dont do it, if you go there do a quick visual, work out a price for a small part that you can easily price say one db in the cellar for example give him the price just for that, ask him for money and see what happens. can of worms pubs, do you know him well, have you ever done work for him before? what happened to the electrician he normally uses? go in with your eyes open and be careful

Sy dont do it, if you go there do a quick visual, work out a price for a small part that you can easily price say one db in the cellar for example give him the price just for that, ask him for money and see what happens. can of worms pubs, do you know him well, have you ever done work for him before? what happened to the electrician he normally uses? go in with your eyes open and be careful

Haddnt thought of that myself or has the guy he normaly uses decided not to get involved in the chit

Remember to write in exactly what you have and have not tested and inspected than if anything was to come back you've got your report to show the extent of your report.
I always do a thorough visual check with random inspections than based on that, a percentage of the install to test. Usually 25%-30% than up it if I find faultS/ poor visuals. Good luck!!!

Many thanks again chaps for your advice..... went round yesterday to check it out. One look at the place before even walking in told me I wasnt even going to do this job.

What a dump!!

Quick visual, thats it made my excuses and left, wouldnt know where to start... maybe by condeming the place and then having it rewired.

Have a nice Sunday,

Sy

Reply to PIR on pub.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock