Discuss PIR reporting in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nrbspark

I really need to get this straight in my mind, having not done any PIRs for a long time (since the 16th edition) what is the scenario?

If I am asked to carry out a PIR on a perfectly installed 16th edition installation with no issues prior to July 2008 are all changes that occurred due to the 17th edition classed as code 4 not to current regs and still satisfactory? or does the lack of an RCD on lighting for example get a coding of 2 requires upgrading and therefore unsatisfactory?

What is the coding for down-lights with no fire rated protection as another example?

I am struggling to locate any documentation that outlines this, can anyone point me in the right direction please.

A recommendation is required on the lack of rcds and the 16th edition installation. It would be worth contacting the eca for some paper work on the current recomendations for testing and ex.found them very helpfull in the past

All deviations from the 17th are irrelevant if the installation complied at the time of install - they are code 4's.

As you are probably aware the big ones to look for are inadequate earthing/mains bonding. Ignore supplementary in my opinion - if the pipework ain't bonded at the boiler/cylinder then you must have gas and water peeing everywhere !

Exposed live parts/damaged accessories/incorrect overcurrent protection (DAMN those kitchen fitters for breaking the ring main) are the common ones to attract code 1 for me.

My personal favourite is a batten holder/pendant/fancy GU10 chrome light above the bath/shower. I fit loads of enclosed fittings after PIR's. Got to be of the correct IP rating eh?

Reply to PIR reporting in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net