Discuss PIR Sensor dims light when off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

agin

Hello all,

Firstly, as a DIY'er I would have put this in that forum but for some reason I can't seem to post to it.

I have installed a LUXOMAT Indoor 180/R-2W UK on my landing to replace the switch :
http://luxomat.com/en/pdf/en/datasheet/92616_92615.pdf

It appears to work, when I walk up to it or make a noise it switches the light on, however, rather than the bulb going off when the sensor switches off it just goes dim.

As a result the bulb is always on but switches from a bright to a dim state.

Any ideas why this would be the case? The switch I replaced worked perfectly :-/

Many thanks in advance for your attention.

Yep tazz misread thought he had LED for some reason der!

Last edited:
edit re-read OP ...what lamp are you using ? because you do not have a N at the switch it uses the lamps as a false N and in your case this is showing as a dim light, if you fit a 60w filament bulb in this should cure it or just live with it.

edit re-read OP ...what lamp are you using ? because you do not have a N at the switch it uses the lamps as a false N and in your case this is showing as a dim light, if you fit a 60w filament bulb in this should cure it or just live with it.

Hi Darkwood, I think you have hit the nail on the head, I will have to have a rummage for a filament bulb in the shed and let you know. Cheers

Am I correct in stating, you removed the normal light switch, and replaced it with the pir sensor.
The more info the better we can help.

Am I correct in stating, you removed the normal light switch, and replaced it with the pir sensor.
The more info the better we can help.
Tazz, that is correct, a straight swap. The earth I just tapped off with a connector block to nowhere.

ok notice there is a in L and Lout, they must be correct way around to charge the internal battery. and Switch 1 needs to be in the on position.

I did notice the L-in and L-out and it did go through the battery charging process so I guess I got it the right way around. I double checked the switch being in the on position.

Be good idea to check you have a constant line at L in, with a test meter

As you are not using the correct rated bulb either this may be part of the issue, these are designed for you filament lamps 60w or over and lower rated or CFL/LED may suffer from dimmed effect or pulsing and flashing, this is a old technology designed for use when filament lamps were the normal been 60 and 100w rated, I cannot see this unit been suitable for modern low energy lamps.

well thats a bummer since I bought it just over a month ago from C.E.S and on the advice of an electrician :-/

one other thing to note is that one of these came in the box : Bewegungsmelder und Präsenzmelder I can't find an english page detailing it's purpose and it's not referenced in the instruction leaflet

I suspect that this is a shunt capacitor, supplied to be fitted across the load (light) in order to provide the small amount of current needed to charge up the internal battery in the sensor. You say that you are not using a filament lamp. Fitting this across the light might well do what you need. However, I've never installed this sensor myself.

You will see in section 2 of the installation instructions:
"The minimum load must exceed 50 W. If not, please install the capacitor."

I strongly advise you to employ the services of an electrician for this job, particularly one who's installed one of these before.

Reply to PIR Sensor dims light when off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net