Discuss PIR-test result issues in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Am in the middle of a large factory pir. When compairing results from the previous test sheets from 3 years ago, we have found many results vary some by quite a bit.
I must admit that the previous sheets do look a bit dubious to say the least, with only IR and earth loop being carried out.
My question is how should i put this down on the test sheets, the fact that there are so many differing results?

Did the previous inspector test from his van? If installation tests ok then isn't that all you need to worry about. Ir results getting worse could be dust ect, especially in production environments.

IR results getting better!!
On sheets they had 46.5M ohms on 1 complete sheet(12 circuits) and 19.5M ohms on another complete sheet (12 circuits) we had >299M ohms across the board?
If he was testing from has van i dont think he managed to stop in the carpark i think he was just driving past!

Is doing IR and earth loop only a correct way of testing a large installation, or just a quicker way of robbing somebody??

Last edited:
If previous information is there then it's there for your reference and aid, not comparison. It could help you to decide if any deterioration has occured over the time, however all readings and reporting will be as you measure or enquire them. If you suspect that a 'proper job' was not done last time then confirm to yourself the reasons why, and depending on your relationship with the client you may want to share your opinion with them.

Any reading less than 2M ohms is a fail and will need further inspection, Is the sheet the schedule of test results? thats giving you 46.5Mohms?
If so what are they circuits? power? lighting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank widdler, but what is the difference between reference and comparison? surely if your reference data does not compare with your readings, something does not add up? Bearing in mind it was only 3 years ago, i would not expect ang big differences.
You may be right and a heart to heart discussion with the customer is on the cards.

Any reading less than 2M ohms is a fail and will need further inspection, Is the sheet the schedule of test results? thats giving you 46.5ohms?
If so what are the circuits? power? lighting?

It was 46.5M ohms so not an issue, circuits both power and lighting.
All i can say is watch out for the "copy and paste" syndrome, it will always catch you out in the end>

Lol ive gotta kidnap someone 1st might be more exciting than being a sparky lol,
oh your being sarcastic are you??? Ha funny as toothache!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank widdler, but what is the difference between reference and comparison? surely if your reference data does not compare with your readings, something does not add up? Bearing in mind it was only 3 years ago, i would not expect ang big differences.
You may be right and a heart to heart discussion with the customer is on the cards.

Reference would be for things like obtaining schedule information. Identifying circuits etc. We most often will use an old schedule to assist us to identify circuit designations, although quite often the existing schedule can be incorrect.
Whilst comparison would be for the exact reasons as to why you are bringing this up. You are obtaining readings that are suspect to the prior. I have known it be done where some lazy electricians feel clever enough to be able to visually asses a cables run to then determine wether they would suspect a measured IR reading instead of the common maximum. They then would record an estimate to their judgement according to their own opinions, without testing having taken place. This was a fairly large respectable company too...

All you need to make sure is that you are confident in how you have taken your readings and then record them as you find them.

As you said in the OP all that was done was the IR and EFLI tests so that in itself seems to lean towards a lot of limitations on the installation.

3 yrs ago there may have been areas he could not get to or things he could not isolate and therfore he carried out what tests he could. There may have been things plugged in or machines there that are not there now, which he could not totally isolate. What we got to remeber is that like an MOT a PIR is only guaranteed while your doing the tests, 10 minutes after something can alter to change those results.

As long as you carry out the test and record the results you get then your covered.
Perhaps 6 months later some work will be done on the installation and when the sparks fills in his certification and gets a different result he may say the same as you.

Reply to PIR-test result issues in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock